Heads up about memory cards for the D810!

Bill16

When looking for the best matched cards for my D800E, I ran into this site showing cards tested in not only the D800 but also the D810! The results for the D810 are impressive by the way, in comparison to the D800!:)

Anyway I thought I would share the D810 test with you D810 users, and hopefully someday I will also be a D810 owner! Fingers crossed!lol :)

Nikon D810 SD CF Card Speed Tests - Fastest memory cards for D810 - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards

Seems like a well run testing to me, and I hope it will be helpful to you too!:)

I quit procrastinating and finally bought a Nikon D810 for my Christmas present. I read the article on D810 cards and was wondering should you use like speed cards. I just bought two Lexar 32 GB SD 1066x cards, but I have 32gb 800x CF Lexar cards. I am going to buy some 1066x CF cards but is it a big deal to use 800x cards?

Bill16

I don't have the D810, but fast CF cards can be helpful depending on what you like shooting! But you can use the slower CF cards will work just fine, and if your shooting stuff like landscapes the fast cards are not really needed.
More knowledgeable folk here can explain it better, but the info was just about what cards work the best and are not a have to type thing.:)

I quit procrastinating and finally bought a Nikon D810 for my Christmas present. I read the article on D810 cards and was wondering should you use like speed cards. I just bought two Lexar 32 GB SD 1066x cards, but I have 32gb 800x CF Lexar cards. I am going to buy some 1066x CF cards but is it a big deal to use 800x cards?

jay_dean

if your shooting stuff like landscapes the fast cards are not really needed.
True, but the upload speed is also slower, so i suppose it depends how fast you'd want to transfer the image to your computer, and the D8XX images are rather large!

D200freak

I did some checking recently, and apparently, the memory card hasn't been made yet that is faster than the abilty of a D800 or D810 to transfer data to it.

Let me say that again, another way: The D800 and D810 are faster than any memory card on the market. The memory card is slower than what the camera is capable of.

That applies to the fastest card you can buy. And all the rest, too.

But how fast is fast enough? Depends on what you're shooting. If your card can keep up with shooting full quality HD video or raw NEF files, then it's fast enough for anything the camera can do. No need to spend any more money on faster memory cards than that.

Last edited:

J-see

Each of my NEFs is about 75MB which, at a frame-rate of 5/s, creates a serious bottleneck.

I not yet encountered cards that write 400MB/s