"Superb" Nikon 24/1.8

TedG954

New 24/1.8 rated as Superb by DXO and better than the 24/1.4.

The rest was a rant and I decided to delete it.

Last edited:

pforsell

Don't lose faith for the reason that Nikon is capable of bringing out excellent lenses at great prices. On the contrary, I think congratulations are in order.

I think it is a good sign. Lens designs progress and better lenses become available at lower prices. It would be backwards imho, if they deliberately hampered the optical quality of slower lenses to make them perform badly just because they can produce them more economically. That would be machiavellian.

I am a junkie for fast primes and I have accumulated a small collection: 24/1.4G, 28/1.4D, 35/1.4 AIS, 35/1.4G, 50/1.2 AIS, 50/1.4G, 58/1.4G, 85/1.4D, 105/1.8 AIS, 135/2D, 200/2VRII, 300/2.8VR and 400/2.8VR. In addition to those I now also have the Sigma 24/1.4 Art, 35/1.4 Art and the older 50/1.4 HSM.

They all have a different character and I don't feel at all that they are redundant. Not even the triplet of 50 mm lenses. I will probably next get the Nikkor 20/1.8G and the new Sigma 20/1.4 Art.

Enjoy your lens and accept the fact that tomorrow will bring new cameras and new lenses. Or trade your 24/1.4G for the 24/1.8G if you feel that the new one is better suited to your shooting. I know I'll keep mine.

Last edited:

Bill16

I have several af-d Nikkor primes including one of my favorite lenses the Nikkor 85mm f1.4 D lens! I would dearly love to collect fast AF-S G prime lenses, but I just can't afford them when there are zooms that I have finally been convinced can be just as sharp and good as primes.:(
But I sure root for you guys that can collect awesome prime lenses! :D

Panza

I'm surprised that there aren't more people who have chimed in with the 24mm f/1.8G. I know it's a new lens but, hmm. Maybe it will take people a while longer to report about this lens.