Color help please.

Blacktop

I'm suspecting my monitor needs to be calibrated. On my phone and on Mary's iPad the colors look different.
I have circled the area that I need info on.
On your calibrated (calibrated being the key word here) monitor ,does the circled area look more on the yellowish ,or on the brownish side to you?

On my non calibrated monitor it looks yellow, but on my phone and the wife's iPad it looks more on the brown side.
Thank you!

_DSC6825---Edit.jpg

mikew_RIP

Dont know if this would help but you could offer up the raw file to some one with a calibrated monitor,then view the difference on yours,the trouble is though take the monitor out of the equation and who knows what we all see as green or brown,interesting question you have posed though.

Blacktop

Thanks everyone. Ordering a spyder thingie now.

So basically every shot that I post here, or put up on Flickr or wherever, looks different than the way I see it and like it.

Also, that means that I'm looking at everyone else's shots differently than the poster intended?

Last edited:

480sparky

I get (roughly) an average RGB of 191:150:105. That's what I would call 'tan'.

And my cali'd screen shows me what I perceive as 'tan'.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Be sure to check out the color of the area I circled. The reflection has a greenish color to it which reminds me of mold. I can understand the 2 trees/bushes having a greenish reflection, but not the entire thing. Sorry to post a screen shot but just wanted you to be aware.

BT.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Thanks everyone. Ordering a spyder thingie now.

So basically every shot that I post here, or put up on Flickr or wherever, looks different than the way I see it and like it.

Also, that means that I'm looking at everyone else's shots differently than the poster intended?
In short, yes. In fact ALL digital images are essentially black and white. Each pixel is assigned a tonal value which is represented in binary code (zeros and ones) until the output device, the monitor in this case, assigns color for display.

Last edited:

Blacktop

Be sure to check out the color of the area I circled. The reflection has a greenish color to it which reminds me of mold. I can understand the 2 trees/bushes having a greenish reflection, but not the entire thing. Sorry to post a screen shot but just wanted you to be aware.

View attachment 189560

Thanks Cindy. Looks pretty greenish on my monitor as well. I'll be uploading the RAW file here in a second.

480sparky

You will note even the clouds are green in the reflection. Most likely, due to algae or something in the water.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I get (roughly) an average RGB of 191:150:105. That's what I would call 'tan'.

And my cali'd screen shows me what I perceive as 'tan'.

Mine too although I used a Datacolor Spyder Pro 4.

You will note even the clouds are green in the reflection. Most likely, due to algae or something in the water.

Yes, there is a greenish reflection in some of the clouds, too. Will look at Blacktop's file to see if it shows up there as well.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, the original file does show a little greenish tint in the reflection of the plants although it isn't so visible in the cloud reflection. Some of the cloud reflection may have come about through post processing. And that grassy area appears tan, too.