Post your Clocks, Watches, and Timepieces.

SteveL54

Clock1.jpg

Heartland1.jpg

Clock1a.jpg

011a.jpg

Sandpatch

My Hamilton 992 railroad watch, as made in Lancaster, PA about 80 years ago I think. Keeps pretty good time; wear it almost every day. It's getting hard finding watchsmiths who are experienced in working with these. Railroad watches sport dials which are extremely easy to read and are "lever set" so as to prevent inadvertent changing of the time.

2013-12-07 Hamilton 992B - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Michael J.

My Hamilton 992 railroad watch, as made in Lancaster, PA about 80 years ago I think. Keeps pretty good time; wear it almost every day. It's getting hard finding watchsmiths who are experienced in working with these. Railroad watches sport dials which are extremely easy to read and are "lever set" so as to prevent inadvertent changing of the time.

View attachment 189517

WOW, That is a beautiful watch.

Bob Blaylock

I found this clock in a thrift store, some years ago, for a few dollars.

Subsequent research has determined that it is an aircraft clock of Soviet origin, almost certainly from a military aircraft, and very likely from a MiG 29.

CSC_4049n.jpgCSC_5206n.jpg

Sandpatch

Wow, that's quite an amazing clock! Out of curiosity, what sort of voltage does it run on? DC? It'd look nice mounted in a flat black metal case.

Bob Blaylock

Wow, that's quite an amazing clock! Out of curiosity, what sort of voltage does it run on? DC? It'd look nice mounted in a flat black metal case.

No voltage. It's mechanical. It has to be wound every few days. The text “2 СУТОК” embossed on the left side of the dial means “2 days”, and refers to how long it can be counted on to run between windings.

SteveL54

Very cool. Interesting how you can see your 5 sec. exposure on the second hand.
The company I work for used to manufacture aircraft clocks. I may have one or two around there to photograph.
I think they are 28v 400cycle.

Sandpatch

No voltage. It's mechanical. ...

Amazing to think that a mechanical clockworks can be made to maintain accuracy while handling crushing g forces and infinite positions in an aircraft. Contrast that with my 1930s Hamilton pocket watch which is adjusted to only five positions (pendant up, pendant to left, pendant to right, face up and face down). My watch may also be adjusted for isochronism, which I think refers to a steady run rate regardless of winding spring tension.

Clocks and watches are so interesting. Like we all need another hobby, right? :)

Sandpatch

I like your positioning of the leftmost watch Blade Canyon -- a nice twist on composition.

Looking at the Seiko watches made me think that my wristwatch is a fairly common Seiko railroad model. I bought it in 1984 and over 30 Years later, it still runs great, though the sun has bleached out the face somewhat. Aside from battery replacements, it's been serviced only once in all those years. Not at all bad for a $125 watch that's seen a lot of rough use.