D7100 - autofocus stops working in cold weather

Emily

Hi all,

As the weather has gotten colder, I've noticed that after about 30 minutes outside, autofocus just stops working for me on my d7100. Once I bring the camera in, it starts working fine again in an hour or so. Has anyone else experienced this problem!?

Thanks!
-Emily

alpine_56

How cold are you talking? I've had mine outside for around 1/2 hour in -15F weather before and never had and issue. I had it outside in sub freezing temps for much longer and again never an issue. Did you try turning the camera off and back on? Check the lens is tight and contacts clean? Hope you get the issue resolved!

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,i wonder if your battery is on the way out,so when it gets cold it stops giving out enough power but as you say when its been inside for an hour or so its ok again.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
Emily, Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with the cold. I'm from So. AZ and I quit working when in the COLD. Ha!

Kevin H

In the cold make sure your batteries are charged to full I've been out in -32C with the D5100 no problem but the battery does die faster keep a spare in a warm pocket :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you have a spare battery, keep it close to your body in a warm place and pop it in when the AF stops working. See if that helps. When I had my D610 out in below freezing temps, the rear screen stopped displaying the image until the camera/battery warmed up. I was still able to take photos though. No problems with my AF.

Have you changed lenses to confirm it is the body or battery, or might it be one particular lens?

salukfan111

Mine does fine down to -20F if I use an extra battery in a shirt pocket and swap when the one in the camera gets cold. Repeat often.

Hi all,

As the weather has gotten colder, I've noticed that after about 30 minutes outside, autofocus just stops working for me on my d7100. Once I bring the camera in, it starts working fine again in an hour or so. Has anyone else experienced this problem!?

Thanks!
-Emily

I live in a fairly warm state, so I haven't had any cold issues; but the operating temperature of the D7100 battery is listed as 32 - 104F. The auto-focus detection spec. is measured by Nikon at 68F.