Gray Market Nikons.

What is the downside to buying a Gray Market Nikon camera besides the One Year warranty that comes with USA branded Nikon's. Are USA branded Nikon's any different from Gray Market except for the warranty? There are deals on E-Bay that have a non-Nikon one year warranty from the seller at incredible prices. The money you could save by buying a grey market Nikon could be put towards a good lens. The other question is, after the one year warranty is up on USA branded Nikon's, aren't both the USA and Gray Market Nikon's equal as far as any repair is needed(you're the one who pays)?

Moab Man

No warranty and service centers won't service them because they are gray. You would have to find an independent repair facility.

mikew_RIP

Dont know about over there but in the UK we have a few sellers who offer grey prices and a three year warranty,plus plenty of independent repairers

Horoscope Fish

What is the downside to buying a Gray Market Nikon camera besides the One Year warranty that comes with USA branded Nikon's. Are USA branded Nikon's any different from Gray Market except for the warranty? There are deals on E-Bay that have a non-Nikon one year warranty from the seller at incredible prices. The money you could save by buying a grey market Nikon could be put towards a good lens. The other question is, after the one year warranty is up on USA branded Nikon's, aren't both the USA and Gray Market Nikon's equal as far as any repair is needed(you're the one who pays)?
The downside is the lack of warranty and that Nikon won't repair grey market kit should something go wrong with it, period. Independent repairs shops will be happy to do so of course, but Nikon Factory Repair Centers will not. Other than that, the bodies, lenses, etc. are the exact same bit of kit you would pay hundreds and hundreds of extra dollars for otherwise. I've rarely bought a lens or body that was NOT grey market because the cost savings are just impossible to ignore. I saved $700 on my D750 by buying grey. Say that. Say it out loud... Seven... Hundred... Dollars. Exact same body, I just kept $700 in my pocket.

If you decide you want a warranty, I suggest you get one that's actually worth having. One that covers things the Nikon warranty will not. Things like dropping your camera, or getting it wet. Check out getting third-party insurance from a place like Square Trade. Yes, it will set you back a couple hundred bucks, maybe three hundred, but do the math and you're probably still coming out way ahead: Less money out of pocket AND a warranty that covers pretty much everything, including "impact damage"; Nikon's "magic wand" for getting out from under doing a warranty repair and sticking you with the bill. Remember... A warranty is only as good as the company backing it up and since you've probably not heard of Square Trade I suggest you compare their customer service ratings with anyone else, including Nikon, and decide for yourself who you'd rather having backing you up.

Many people have opinions about buying grey, but my *experience* with buying grey market kit has been nothing but overwhelmingly positive in every way and the money I've "saved" has been huge. I put "saved" in quotes because as you can imagine those savings translate quickly into things like really nice f/2.8 glass.

Paul, I whole heartily agree with on all points. I'm looking at a D810 that is selling on E-Bay for $1999.00. It also has the option of adding the Square Trade warranty. In my opinion, a Nikon is a Nikon is a Nikon. They are mfg in the same plant by Nikon. They are identical cameras except for a serial# that signify it as a USA model. If a repair is not under warranty, you have to pay for it regardless whether it's a USA version of Gray Market. What is their explanation for not repairing a gray market Nikon other than it's not a USA version?

By the way, do you like the Sigma Art Lenses? Do you think they equal Nikon the f/1.4's?

Horoscope Fish

By the way, do you like the Sigma Art Lenses? Do you think they equal Nikon the f/1.4's?
I have only a certain amount of experience with Nikon's 50mm f/1.4G and 58mm f/1.4G lenses but, based on what experience I do have, the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art-series lens absolutely *crushes* them both, and I mean in *every* regard. In all fairness, I think it could be argued the Nikon 50mm f/1.4G has slightly better bokeh than the Sigma. I'm not 100% certain I agree, but I'm not convinced the Sigma gets the win there, either, so I'm willing to concede it's possible the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 gets the point in that particular column. Maybe.

In short, the Sigma Art-series lenses are big, heavy and the "crack cocaine" of glass: Shoot with one and you're hooked.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The down side to using third party lenses is that some of them won't work on newer bodies without being sent back for firmware updates although lenses that can connect to a Sigma dock might be able to receive the firmware updates. Not all Sigma lenses can be connected though.

Paul, have you ever had to have a gray market camera repaired. "Carguy" sent me a piece from the Nikon web site with this info
"Nikon Inc. USA cannot provide any technical support or warranty service on Gray Market items. Additionally Nikon Inc. USA cannot perform any fee-based repair work on Gray Market items. Please do not contact Nikon Inc. USA for help with any Gray Market products. Please contact the re-seller or importer of your Gray Market items for warranty and service information as well as software updates and downloads."

Have you had any problems doing firmware updates?
Brian

Bill16

I bought my D800E from a buddy in Australia and it is considered grey market! It is awesome and I can't imagine a US version being any better!lol :)

Bill16

I'm actually having this same debate with myself over a Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f2.8 g lens! Grey or not grey, new or refurbished, and all the point that go with them!lol :)

Horoscope Fish

Paul, have you ever had to have a gray market camera repaired.
I have a couple independent repair shops that I've needed (maybe twice?) in the past some years ago. Nobody, besides Nikon, has ever cared about how I acquired my camera. The only place the topic ever seems to come up, or gets discussed, is on these forums; at least for me.

Have you had any problems doing firmware updates?
Never. It's the exact same product as any other; it just took a different route getting to you that Nikon doesn't like.

EDIT: All this being said, if you're not comfortable buying grey, don't do it. I feel I have a rather high tolerance for things like buying grey market and things going wrong in general: When, and IF, something does go sideways, and I need it fixed, I buck up and pay for it. I can live with that. Some people can't do that, or will worry ceaselessly because they don't have a totes legit Nikon warranty, which I can fully understand. A couple dealings with Nikon's so-called "Customer Service" will cure that, but most people will never need to do that, so they don't know how badly the experience can suck. I, on the other hand, work in an Art department with a thriving photography program, and get to deal with Nikon reps on a regular basis. Every once in a while I manage to navigate that experience without grinding my teeth to bloody stumps, but it's rare.

In short, go with what feels comfortable for you.

Last edited: