Rumor: Nikon buying Samsung Mirrorless - FX on the way?

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Mirrorless Rumors is reporting that Nikon is purchasing the mirrorless assets of Samsung with an eye to challenging Sony both on full-frame mirrorless and processors. Link to rumor here.

nikonsamsung.jpg

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
WOW! Interesting since I've read and seen very nice results done with the Samsungs on another forum that is less brand oriented. This could get very interesting.

I had read that Samsung were getting out of the camera business end so the rumor might have some truth to it.

Stoshowicz

Should I take it that the 500.00 dollar samsung rivals the 10,000.00 D3x in image quality,by only one DXo point less? If Nikon already can produce the same or better system Quality, then the difference seems really to be what they charge for it. It sounds very skewed ( though I don't have either) I might get one and glue on a rifle sight.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I had read that Samsung were getting out of the camera business end so the rumor might have some truth to it.

That is what makes me believe it too. Supposedly Samsung has a working prototype of a full frame mirrorless based on their own designed processor. That is the part that is interesting because this could give Nikon an alternative to Sony processors too.

TieuNgao

What do you think about Nikon MIRRORLESS?

There're rumors about Nikon buying Samsung Mirrorless Camera Division, Nikon's working on full-frame mirrorless cameras, etc.
I'm wondering what features do you think Nikon should include in its future mirrorless cameras?
For example: APS-C or full-frame or both, F-mount or something else, built-in image stabilization or not, Sony sensors or something else, what kind of AF, 4K video or not, etc.
Thanks.

Rick M

Re: What do you think about Nikon MIRRORLESS?

It's about survival. Nikon will need to adapt a Mirrorless or Global shutter system to remain relevant. If not, they go the way of the dinosaurs. Nikon will not survive this progress if they do not adapt.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If only they could keep the F mount without an adapter and go mirrorless, then I guess they'd sell a lot.

Blacktop

There're rumors about Nikon buying Samsung Mirrorless Camera Division, Nikon's working on full-frame mirrorless cameras, etc.
I'm wondering what features do you think Nikon should include in its future mirrorless cameras?
For example: APS-C or full-frame or both, F-mount or something else, built-in image stabilization or not, Sony sensors or something else, what kind of AF, 4K video or not, etc.
Thanks.
A mirror for starters. Not a fan of EVF

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

A mirror for starters. Not a fan of EVF

Pete, I can appreciate the sentiment. EVF's do have some advantages though. Wouldn't you love to see immediately how exposure compensation affects the image before capture and without having to review the image? And an overlay of a histogram? How about focus peaking? What about rotating the text when you are capturing a vertical image? Split screen for close focus?

Fortunately some of the manufacturers have thought outside the box and implemented these features. Check out this page for an example and I think you might be surprised.

pic_02.jpg pic_04.jpg pic_05.jpg

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

I have no real problem with EVF finders,i just need them to be 100% as responsive as a optical one,not that i would find that reason to move over.

mikew_RIP

If only they could keep the F mount without an adapter and go mirrorless, then I guess they'd sell a lot.

Not likley with out an adapter due to the back element to sensor distance,it can never be right for both,an adapter on something like the 1 series is no problem apart from the cost,it loses nothing.