nikkor af-s 14-24mm f2.8 ed g

Bill16

Help me get this lens! This lens can be bought used for about $1200.00, grey market for about $1400.00, and new US version for about $1898.00! With used lenses, I take some risk of course, and the lens may even turn out to be grey market without my knowing it! Grey market is new, but for $1400.00 I'm not seeing any warranties, so if I get unlucky I could lose bad by the rare lens that just busts on it's own shortly after buying it! New US versions are $400 - $600 more expensive, and then you get kit choices plus a 1 year warranty, or no kit but an extended warranty for an extra 4 years instead!

Now I will have between $2500.00 and $2700.00 to spend with several other things on my wish list! So lower price on this lens is something to think about for sure! Lol :)

Shortened Wish List

Dream tripod $1200.00
Nikkor af-s 24-70 f2.8 g lens $1200.00 - $2000.00
Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 g $1800.00 - $2600.00
Nikkor AF-S 200mm micro f4 g $1300.00 - $2000.00

Not to mention all of the lesser lenses,sb-910 flashes, and Wimberley gimbal tripod head, and other little things that are too many to mention here! Lol :)

So advice is both welcome and appreciated! :)

Last edited:

Bill16

For the record, I do plan to get all three of the Trinity lenses! But to start with I want to get this lens, and I'm even open to getting the 24-70mm to if I can.Though I admit to having my heart set on that awesome tripod!lol :)
The 70-200mm will be last since I will want the latest and greatest version! Lol Anyway they are running about $2100.00, and that will take some more saving!

Bill16

Did you get your Trinity lenses refurbished? Did the look and feel new or used? Did you regret not going for the 5years worth of warranty, that comes with new versions? I wonder what they fix and or replace on refurbished, or call it good if it looks alright with no issues?

You're welcome. You'll love the 14-24. Mine doesn't get a lot of use, but when it does, it rocks BIG TIME.

Bill16

Right now I am thinking that buying it new with the warranty, and getting the $400.00 filter adapter made for this lens! Spendy, buy worry free for a few years, and without any wear and tear! I'm guessing a little wear and tear on refurbished lenses is ignored as long as it does effect the working of the lens and doesn't Mar it up any! :)

It seems like I might be able to buy one of the Trinity lenses each year, and maybe even the Nikkor AF-S 200mm f4 macro lens one year after the Trinity!lol :)
Last but not least would be a long lens for what wildlife I manage to catch on camera! Lol :)

Normally even used lenses would be great! But these lenses cost so much, that I hate to pay so much for used lenses when buying them new is doable! :D

What do you think? What would you do in my place?

singlerosa_RIP

Here's what I've bought from Nikon Refurb:

14-24 2.8
17-55 2.8
70-300VR
D600
D7200

All have appeared as new. The bodies came with under 50 shutter activations. I'm not too worried about a 5-year lens warranty. I take good care of my gear. Should anything need repair, I can use the money I saved by buying refurbed. My guess is that a lot of the refurb stuff might not be because of defect, but were demo or display models. In my 35+ years of shooting Nikon, the only problem I've had was a cosmetic issue with a Nikon grip.

Bill16

Well I guess then, I got to decide between a refurbished and a new US model! I admit I baby my gear too, so I am unlikely to break it unless it breaks on it's own through normal use!lol :)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Worth looking into the Tamron 15-30mm f2.8 instead. It's an amazing lens and cheaper

Since I'm using a D800E and felt comfortable increasing ISO, I decided to go a little wider and give up a little speed and went with the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II as my trinity wide angle. Available under $1k new.

salukfan111

For the record, I do plan to get all three of the Trinity lenses! But to start with I want to get this lens, and I'm even open to getting the 24-70mm to if I can.Though I admit to having my heart set on that awesome tripod!lol :)
The 70-200mm will be last since I will want the latest and greatest version! Lol Anyway they are running about $2100.00, and that will take some more saving!
Why? Get a Tamron 15-30 or a Nikkor 20-35 (minty ebay), Nikkor 35-70 (minty ebay), and a Nikor 80-200 (minty ebay) and laugh all the way to the bank.

Bill16

If I was using a Nikon other than a D8xx series Nikon, I would likely be buying lenses you suggest and like I've been buying up til now. But from what I read a while back and from what a few friends I really look up to have said, I decided to get the best Nikon lenses I can since I want to stick with my D800E and maybe even the D810 down the road!
What I read was that Nikon sensors are more capable than the lenses are able to produce. That even the best lenses might only get 24mp quality out of the 36mps the D800 series sensor are capable of.
So I chose to get the sharpest Nikon lenses I can that will cover all the bases. And before you mention other brands, I prefer to stick to Nikon at least for the foreseeable future! Lol :)

Why? Get a Tamron 15-30 or a Nikkor 20-35 (minty ebay), Nikkor 35-70 (minty ebay), and a Nikor 80-200 (minty ebay) and laugh all the way to the bank.

Bill16

Though I know some third party lenses are suppose to be a bit sharper, I feel more comfortable with Nikon for now at least. I'm looking at grey market with a 1 year warranty at a lot more reasonable price, so I think I will still have enough money left over to buy my tripod, or maybe a Nikkor 24-70mm lens! I must admit the tripod is what I will most likely get with the 14-24mm Nikkor! Lol :)

salukfan111

This isn't Russia you can do whatever you want.

You do know that Nikon doesn't use Nikon sensors? Assuming you have a lens with a decent level of sharpness, the sensor sets the pixel count, and the real magic occurs between the sensor and sd card. You would be shocked to the where each of the commonly used sensors are used with respect to camera models. There is an engineering concept out there called "the point of diminishing returns". It's up to you to decide where that point is.

Bill16

Yep I knew about this not being Russia! Lol ;) I also knew about Nikon using other brands of sensors like Sony for an example! Lol Oh and believe me I have no doubts at all of others here being much much smarter and more knowledgeable than I am! Lol :D

I'm just going with my little piece of knowledge of photography gear, and what I feel is the safest way to go for me at this time. Who knows I may regret it later, but I'm going this way in hopes that it will keep me from regretting my choices! :D
This isn't Russia you can do whatever you want.

You do know that Nikon doesn't use Nikon sensors? Assuming you have a lens with a decent level of sharpness, the sensor sets the pixel count, and the real magic occurs between the sensor and sd card. You would be shocked to the where each of the commonly used sensors are used with respect to camera models. There is an engineering concept out there called "the point of diminishing returns". It's up to you to decide where that point is.

hrstrat57

@Bill16 russians can buy whatever they want too now if the have the dough! Few do tho LOL!

Help me understand this one. I have seen very few wide shots in your posts of your great pics. Will this super pricey ultra pro bit just not end up collecting dust on your shelf? Your AF D 20 shots are great and suffice to my eye! Keep in mind my comments reflect my zero interest in ultra wide! I know I would never use it if I had one thus the ultrawide gap in my lineup!

Re the Nikkonr 24-70 VR I skimmed some internet comments on that bit today that were very negative. Me, I'd target the current Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 G version that is one killer style bit of glass there! I have a friend with the Nikon f2.8 trilogy and he won't leave the house without that one! He has mulled over selling the 14-24, yep rarely used. He's a hoarder like us tho so he won't LOL!

Keep us posted.

Bill16

Thanks for your kind words my friend! I really haven't yet got out to get any truly cool landscape shots yet, and a friend mentioned how with the D800E I would really notice a pretty big difference in picture quality if I upped my lens to the sharpest I can find! Well wanting to stick with Nikon brand I decided on a version of the trinity, with the ultra wide angle first and a super great tripod to get the best shots I can, suffering only from the lacks in my own skill set! Lol :)
The older version of the 24-70mm f2.8 Nikkor is to be my lens of choice for that focal range!:) Though I still would like a 80-200mm to go with my awesome D700(and still might get one), I will be going for which ever version of the 70-200mm f2.8 Nikkor that is best for my D800E! :)

@Bill16 russians can buy whatever they want too now if the have the dough! Few do tho LOL!

Help me understand this one. I have seen very few wide shots in your posts of your great pics. Will this super pricey ultra pro bit just not end up collecting dust on your shelf? Your AF D 20 shots are great and suffice to my eye! Keep in mind my comments reflect my zero interest in ultra wide! I know I would never use it if I had one thus the ultrawide gap in my lineup!

Re the Nikkonr 24-70 VR I skimmed some internet comments on that bit today that were very negative. Me, I'd target the current Nikon 24-70 f 2.8 G version that is one killer style bit of glass there! I have a friend with the Nikon f2.8 trilogy and he won't leave the house without that one! He has mulled over selling the 14-24, yep rarely used. He's a hoarder like us tho so he won't LOL!

Keep us posted.

Bill16

If I would have stuck to the D700 D300 combo as planned, then I would feel the same way! Lol But this darn D800E has me enthralled, and I just have to stick with it! Lol :D

PS. The D8xx series is designed very well for those landscapes I need to get around to taking! Lol ;)

@Bill16 has been trying to get mine for months lol!

Not happening!

Beasts, both of them! Wouldn't trade either straight up for their AF-S G cousins!