50mm auto-focus, manual focus

Daisy Kenyon

I love the images I get with the 50mm. It does not auto focus when I use it on my D-40X. I knew this when I purchased on e-bay. It is labelled AF on the lens. Some 50mm lenses are labelled AF-S. Would this AF-S kind mean I could auto-focus on my D-40x???

Thank you ahead of time:eek:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I love the images I get with the 50mm. It does not auto focus when I use it on my D-40X. I knew this when I purchased on e-bay. It is labelled AF on the lens. Some 50mm lenses are labelled AF-S. Would this AF-S kind mean I could auto-focus on my D-40x???
Thank you ahead of time:eek:

I think you'll enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX and Nikon 50mm f1.8G AFS lens. Both will AF with your D40x camera and it makes things a lot easier if you are struggling with MF.

Joseph Bautsch

Daisy, the reason the AF-S lens will auto focus on the D40 is that it has a built in auto focus motor. The "S" in the AF-S stands for silent wave focus motor. The D40 does not have a focus drive built into the body and will not auto focus unless you are using an AF-S lens. Some of Nikon's bodes do have the focus drive such as the D90.

jcottone45

I too use the AF 35mm f 1.8 DX lens & its a beauty to use,light weight so it was on the camera for awhile,I have also been using my older 50mm f/1.2 MF lens on my D300s with great results, because it predates the newer lenses the 1 & half crop comes into play so its a 75mm lens which works out be even better for me.
So Daisy, as long as you can deal with manual focusing, I did for 30 some odd years on my old FE before digital you should like the results.!!!
Happy Shooting!!!!!!

Daisy Kenyon

Daisy, the reason the AF-S lens will auto focus on the D40 is that it has a built in auto focus motor. The "S" in the AF-S stands for silent wave focus motor. The D40 does not have a focus drive built into the body and will not auto focus unless you are using an AF-S lens. Some of Nikon's bodes do have the focus drive such as the D90.
Gotcha! thanks a lot!
DK

Daisy Kenyon

I think you'll enjoy the Nikon 35mm f1.8G DX and Nikon 50mm f1.8G AFS lens. Both will AF with your D40x camera and it makes things a lot easier if you are struggling with MF.
I am thinking of getting the 35mm lens too, or possibly the new 40mm also. Thanks for your help!