Opinions on D7000 Replacements -- D90 or D300s

nmjameswilson

The D7000 has an issue with focus and I do not feel like taking the chance of it doing it to me again. I am going to opt for a different model. Do I loss that much with a D90 or should I go 300S? I am thinking one or the other. I am not a pro and I can always move up. Right now I am thinking D90.

Thanks in advance.

AxeMan - Rick S.

I can't speak for the D300S, but I can tell you that the D90 is a proven work horse in my eyes. I had a choice at the time to buy a D90 or a D7000, I got the D90 because of it's reputation, and I'm very happy with it.

With all the allege issues with the D7000 I'm glad I did. The only thing I would like to have is that new sensor in the D7000, and that is why I was drawn to it.

I'm sure there's some former D90 users on the board who now use the D300S, you'll have to wait for their input.

BTW the D90 comes with a 18-105 kit lens, which is under rated, it really a sweet lens.

My two cents worth.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Go for the D300s if you want a bigger size camera, better AF (51 point with 3D which is similar to the pro and D700), more durable body, weather sealing, and better video. If you are just a casual shooter, then you can find a lot of bargain D90 around. Just match it with a better lens and flash and you'll be good to go.

Curt

Well all I can say is I have a D7000 and I have had no issues with it at all.
I have had it for about half a year now and it works great so far.
But if you really feel you don't want to get that model again go for the d300s.
It's close to the D7000 in a lot of the feature and a up grade from the D 90.

Browncoat

It's close to the D7000 in a lot of the feature and a upgrade from the D90.
Not really. The D300s shares most of its features with the D3.

I used to own a D90 and currently use a D300s. The price difference between these two cameras (body only) is about $600, which is no small chunk of change. You can buy a nice lens for that kind of cash, or even a backup camera. The D90 is at the high end of the consumer models, while the D300s is at the low end of the pro models. While the D90 and D300s may sit close to each other in Nikon's lineup, they are really worlds apart.

BUILD
One of the biggest differences is construction. The D300s has a larger magnesium body, o-rings and seals to help with dust and weatherproofing, a stronger focus motor and shutter mechanism. You can actually hear the difference in the shutter compared to the D90. The overall footprint of the D300s is only slightly larger than the D90, but it's built like a tank.

FOCUS
51 points versus 11. The D300s has a lot more AF options too, in addition to better AF performance overall. The 3D tracking on this thing is nothing short of incredible.

DUAL CARDS

The D300s can store a SD and CF card, which gives you a lot more flexibility. You can shoot RAW on one card, JPG on the other. You can backup all your images by saving the same images each card, or even set the up to run in overflow for a huge amount of storage.

SPEED (FPS)
7 FPS with the D300s vs. 4.5 with the D90. With the Nikon vertical grip (MB-D10) and different battery, this jumps to 8 FPS. If you shoot sports...this combined with 51 point 3D tracking...forget about it. This was one of the major deciding factors for me, as I shoot a lot of sports. We're talking about nearly double the frames here.

MODES
There are no "idiot modes" on the D300s. Say goodbye to Auto, Sports, and the others. This can be a good thing or bad thing, depending on your point of view.

There are a lot of other upgrades too, but the above are the major ones that will put hair on your chest. It's easy to get caught up in all that, but remember that it all comes with a hefty price tag. For me, it made sense to upgrade considering what I shoot. The D90 is a fine camera, I loved mine and would probably still have it...if it hadn't been destroyed in water. You have to ask yourself if you really need or even want all the extra stuff that comes with a D300s.

nmjameswilson

Thanks fotojack ... I have google but was only checking like craigslist.

Thanks for the indepth answers ... I am thinking the D90 is were I need to be right now but I can always sell and go up from there later. Thanks again

Browncoat

You certainly won't be disappointed with the D90, it's a workhorse. Just about every reviewer on the planet agrees that pound for pound, the D90 is the best camera in Nikon's lineup.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since I have both the 7000 and the 90, I'll put in my 2 cents.
As much as I was satisfied with the D90, ever since I have the D7000 I'm not using the 90 much. For me, the IQ of the 7000 is much better. I find I get more color depth and contrast range than with the 90. And the high ISO has a lot less noise than the D90. But the difference is not that great. I'd say if you're not printing huge size prints and just want a great camera, the D90 is probably your best bet. But before you get rid of your D7000, I'd give Nikon a chance to see it and fix it (if defective). I can tell you that when it's good, it's great.

Best of luck with your decision.

fotojack

Thanks fotojack ... I have google but was only checking like craigslist.

Thanks for the indepth answers ... I am thinking the D90 is were I need to be right now but I can always sell and go up from there later. Thanks again

hehehe....hey no problem, bud. I was being a smartass when I asked you if you had Google. :)
On a serious note, I think you're right about going with the D90. This is one camera you won't soon outgrow. It is a proven workhorse as attested to by the other D90 shooters in here. After you get your D90, go out there and take pictures! :) I'd like to see what you come up with. :)

nmjameswilson

I was told by someone here at work that I may want to adjust the sharpening in the D7000 and that may be the reason for the blurry photo results. I will check that as a last resort.

If that is not it I am taking the advice and going D90. Thanks guys!