Any good?

Scott Murray

Been awhile since I did a macro so I shot outside and grabbed these! Are they any good?

20151122-20151122-D60_5286.jpg

20151122-20151122-D60_5275.jpg

20151122-20151122-D60_5272.jpg

20151122-20151122-D60_5262.jpg

20151122-20151122-D60_5259.jpg

mikew_RIP

Think ime too used to seeing the normal standard of your work and i dont think these meet it,although they are good macro yours normally have more impact.

mikew_RIP

So straight out of camera does not work for you???

Dont know about that its just you have set a very high standard in all the types of photography you do,there are a few members on here i could say i wish i was as good as and you are one of them.

Is that the difference then straight out of the camera and ime normally used to seeing your PP.

singlerosa_RIP

I know you like low ISO, but maybe stopped down a bit would help give more sharpness (better DOF). I don't shoot a lot of macro, but when I do, It's f/12 or higher, unless I'm stacking.

pforsell

You are using a good technique, there's no camera shake despite the slowish shutter speed. Exposure, framing, colors are all good. As others have said the DOF probably needs to be deeper. The last one is the best of the lot because that one is the only one where the bugs eye coincides within the DOF.

I think ISO 400 and f/9 would be a reasonable compromise, but YMMV. When I am bug-hunting I use flash (or several) so I'll be able to go down to f/16 with low ISO.

Felisek

I agree with Peter, these are beautiful shots, but, in my personal opinion, would benefit from deeper depth of field. I love the colours!

Bill16

Yes what they said! Lol ;)
More depth of field would be what I think they need! And I second Mike's opinion on who I would like to be as good as someday! :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm definitely NOT a bug fan, but having seen some of your previous macro bug images, what you did in the past far surpasses these. As the others mentioned, the images are a little soft and lack DOF. Not sure it's about you getting old...try refreshing your memory by going over the settings used in the past since you haven't done macro for a long time. ;)

aroy

I think that the shallow DOF is spoiling the image. Fine for abstract art, but definitely lacking for a whole insect sharpness. I normally shoot macro at F16 to F32 to get good DOF.

Ironwood

Ahh Scott, that explains it :D, you had the beer goggles on. Oz
I was looking at the pics and checking out the exif, thinking "whats Scott up to ?"
I thought you might have been trying to trick those long legged Flies by not using your flash :D