Considerations for backup camera body

gustafson

I'm a DSLR newbie on a D3300 for the last few months. In order to better understand and learn SLR photography, I've acquired a few old manual Nikkor primes that I'm learning to use in M mode and I'm loving the IQ from these older lenses over my kit zooms. However, it's getting to be a pain to carry all the lenses everywhere, so I'm considering a second camera body to use exclusively these vintage manual Nikkor primes. Thought I'd run my reasoning by Nikonites for a sanity check:

1. Is this simply a case of NAS and should I ignore it until it goes away?

2. My instinct is to go for a cheap used body that can meter with older lenses (D7000 or D300). Alternatively, the idea of a used D3100 appeals to me as the controls will be similar to the D3300 and the accessories intercompatible (batteries, grips, adapters, etc.). In this case, I may consider chipping the lenses for metering capability at some point. My rationale for DX is because 1) it will be less prone to the issues with vignetting, corner softness, falloff, etc. that is common with these older lenses, and 2) it's a cheaper route overall.

3. My instinct is to go for a lower resolution (10-16 MP) body as I've read that is adequate for casual photography, plus the larger pixels may translate to better overall IQ (at the expense of high ISO performance). I don't know this for a fact, but I'm hoping that it would be enough resolution for these older lenses. Finally, the smaller file sizes would be welcome.

Would be interested to see what Nikonites think of my reasoning. Feel free to call me out for crazy talk, I'm a newbie after all so no offense taken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikew_RIP

If your not bothered about ISOs over 800 then get a D300 it will compliment your lenses and feel like a proper camera,plus there cheap now.

gustafson

If your not bothered about ISOs over 800 then get a D300 it will compliment your lenses and feel like a proper camera,plus there cheap now.

Thanks for the tip. Especially with the faster primes, I'm expecting I can stay under 800 ISO unless it gets super dark. How's the battery life on the D300? Any other trade offs vs current day Nikon DSLRs that I should be aware of?

mikew_RIP

I had one for a very short time but needed higher ISOs if not i would have kept it,its the nearest you will get to a pro DX and feels like a proper camera,cant remember battery life being a problem.

Bill16

The D300 has good battery life, and I also used a battery grip on mine! You'll likely find yourself loving the D300 more than your D3300, because the pro features are a huge plus in my opinion! :D

gustafson

That was my fear, of falling in love with the backup My rationale would be to keep the D3300 with the plastic fantastic kit zooms as a lightweight option, and a heavier backup body to go with the vintage primes which tend to have some heft to them anyway. It's a tough call between the D7x00 and the D300/s, but my plan is to keep my eyes peeled for the first good deal that comes up. I saw your other post about the D7100 refurb for $490, that was very tempting but I couldn't justify it without selling my D3300 first.

Last edited:

aroy

All older MF primes are FX, so you would really get wider images with an FX body. If constrained for funds try a D700, else I would prefer a discounted/refurbished D750. Much better high ISO and more MP sensor.

Zeke_M

You would fall in love with the D7000 and it would end up as your main camera and the prices of good refurbished ones are quite enticing.

Nikon D7000 Digital SLR Camera Body - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I recently upgraded from a D3100 to a D7100.
At the time I was shopping for a D7000 or a D7100. Either body would be an excellent upgrade from a D3xxx.

Refurb D7100's are deeply discounted depending where you look. Same with D7000's like the one above.

Go for the D7xxx and make the D3300 the backup.

Last edited:

gustafson

Thank you @Zeke_M. That is exactly what I have done, i.e. picked up a refurb D7100 and keeping the D3300 as backup for the moment, but I expect I may sell the D3300 if it begins to collect dust. Originally I was considering an older backup body solely for manual lenses, but the D7100 happens to be a step-up that might make my D3300 redundant.

Zeke_M

Thank you @Zeke_M. That is exactly what I have done, i.e. picked up a refurb D7100 and keeping the D3300 as backup for the moment, but I expect I may sell the D3300 if it begins to collect dust. Originally I was considering an older backup body solely for manual lenses, but the D7100 happens to be a step-up that might make my D3300 redundant.

You're welcome.

My tired old D3100 is off getting refreshed and repaired. I'm going to keep it as a backup, loaner or glorified point and shoot.
I have two 18-55 DX VR lenses. One can live on the D3100 full time.

Before someone asks, I bought a second kit lens and another 55-200 VR DX at a pawnshop for $100 years ago.
If one takes a dive then I have another to take its place. Hasn't happened yet but I'm working on it.

I'm recommending hanging on to your D3300.
I don't know about you but Murphy has been my constant companion since I started this hobby.
You may need a backup camera in the future.