What Essential Goodies to Have?

lorenbrothers

I really didn't know a good place to post this ... thought I'd try here. This section doesn't get much traffic; maybe it's because D810 users already know everything or maybe nobody owns a D810! LOL ;)

I'm soon to be getting a D810 package w/ 3 lenses, tripod, ball head, vest, and bag. (see my Howdy post for the full list: http://nikonites.com/new-member-introductions/33831-hi-north-cascades-2.html#axzz3ravf35Cr )

My question here is: what might you consider to be "MUST HAVE" accessories for this D810 camera? I won't be doing studio or video work. Mostly outdoors landscape stuff. As suggestions are posted I'll tag them onto this starting post here.

Let's keep it 'poor man' realistic though. LOL

Thanks

MONEY -- That's a good idea! Every photographer should have some laying around!
MEM CARDS & SPARE BATTERIES --
RAIN COVER --
REMOTE SHUTTER RELEASE --
POLARIZING FILTER --
600 mm LENS -- We'll let that slide for a while.
GRIP --
FLASH --
AFTERMARKET STRAP --
CLEANING KIT --

Last edited:

nikonpup

spare memory cards/batteries. for a wet side shooter a rain cover. remote shutter release. tamron 150-600mm lens. cp filter, get one for largest lens, then stepup rings for other lens. spare money to pay the taxes on your goodies. :) enjoy.

lorenbrothers

"nikonpup" referred to a "remote shutter release" but he didn't get very specific. While browsing on Amazon I came across this item which appears to be identical to the Nikon OEM MC-36A Multi-Function Remote Cord at mere 1/10th the price. I could definitely use something like this with my D810? Sounds cool to me!

Amazon.com : Neewer Digital Intervalometer Timer Remote Control EZA-N1 For Nikon D2, D2H, D2Hs, D1x, D1h, D1, D2x, D2Xs, D200, D300, D3, D3X, D3S, D4s D4 D2HS, D300S, D700, D810 D800 D800E, F5, F6, F100, F90, F90x : Camera & Photo

Bill16

I highly agree with a lot of the recommendations, but especially the good to great tripod and ball head for landscape photography!
I'm going to try my hand at it too when I can, and I highly recommend buying a very stable tripod and ball head! I have a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod and an ARCA SWISS Z1 ball head for outdoor photography $1,000.00,and a Gitzo aluminium tripod with ARCA SWISS B1 ball head for studio work when I get a studio setup $600.00-$700.00! They are awesome and I love them! But they are expensive and took me a while to get each item, and you might not have the time to wait, or budget for high end tripods when there are more affordable versions out there! :)

Others can fill you in better than I can about which tripods and balls that are more affordable that are best for your needs! :)

Great call Grandpa's buddy!:)

A good tripod and head.

nikonpup

go to "b & h" web site find d810 page click on accessories. There will be a long list of categories for different accessories. Most of my purchases have been with b & h. If i get into seattle i like kenmore camera and glazier. The savings on taxes and gas/shipping make b & h my main choice.

Chubby

I would go with extra batteries and SD cards, fast ones for sure and Yes NIKONPUP the taxes in WA state suck, I bought my D7100 body at Kenmore camera and eveything else online because of the almost 10% tax rate.

Last edited:

SkvLTD

Besides like 2x GOOD 32gb cards and at LEAST 1 spare battery, only whatever you need to shoot whatever it is that you shoot. If you do water/sky/cars - a good CPL is a must, otherwise not terribly useful over say ND, which again has a very specific purpose.

Remote you can get a cheap 3$ IR one, not really a factor unless you shoot long exposures + tripod in this case.

I got plenty of extras in my bag for those "if" situations I haven't experienced all that much.

D200freak

Battery grip and extra batteries. Extra memory cards, too. When you're out of memory or battery power, you're done for the day.

I would avoid the temptation to buy memory cards that are excessively large. That means that the loss of a card, or damage to it, means you lose more of your work.

I run a 64 GB SD card and a generous handful of 4 GB CF cards, set up so that any overflow goes to the SD card. But the CF cards are my primary storage and I have something like 80 of them and usually carry a small pouch containing ten formatted empty ones on my sling.

I'd definitely recommend a total of 4 charged batteries as the minimum. They're small and light, so stack 'em deep!

If you're going to use the flash a lot, double the number of batteries you plan to carry.

Get a comfortable strap/carry system. At the end of a long day your gear will be a lot heavier than it was in the morning. Or you'd swear to it, anyway.