Hello from Illinois

Stlfreeride

Hey everyone.. I have been a member for a month now but never said hi to everyone.. I am new to the DSLR world. I've always had P&S, but I will be a first time dad in 3 months, so I wanted a better camera. I got the 3100 with the 18-55mm kit. I like it alot, but want more lenses to expand. I am shooting a little bit of everything, the pets, outdoors, & a lot of just random things I see. It's an awesome & fun hobby. Looking forward to learning more & talking to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike150

Welcome and Congratulations of the pending arrival.
If you're anything like I am with my grandkids, you'll be taking at least half of your photos of the baby.
I would think about the 35mm or 50mm f1.8 lens. Great for indoor shots when the light is low.
As for the outdoors and wildlife, I would consider the 55-300mm VR zoom, or better still, the 70-300mm VR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rick M

Welcome Stifreeride! I'm sure you'll enjoy the D3100, it will be easier to learn than trying to spell Stifreeride :)

fotojack

Welcome, Stifreeride, to Nikonites. I'm sure you're going to enjoy your D3100. Great camera. Mike 150 has some good advice there. Those are great lenses for their intended purposes.

Stlfreeride

Thanks mike... I already am set on the 35mm... just undecided on the zoom..Is the 70-300 worth the extra $ from the 55-300
cnyram...Just a little background. I ride Mt Bikes & mostly do freerideing. Wich is riding thing not ment to be rode, Stairs, walls, big rocks, drop offs, ect.... I do alot of riding down town St Louis.. Thats were the STLFREERIDE comes in..

Rick M

Thanks, Was wondering..,usually there is a story behind these names! Mine is very simple, I live in central new nork and my intials are ram. Happy Shooting!

Rick

Ruidoso Bill

Welcome to Nikonites, hope you enjoy the site. A child on the way is a great excuse to buy lots, did I say lots of photo equipment, take advantage of it.