Raw and jpeg

mikew_RIP

I must be missing something,out of interest to see how the images i processed compeered with the cameras ideas of jpegs i thought i would shoot both,i have the camera set on card 1 raw card 2 jpeg but ime getting raw on both,cant see what i have missed,had a look at the book but it doesn't help me,

Horoscope Fish

I must be missing something,out of interest to see how the images i processed compeered with the cameras ideas of jpegs i thought i would shoot both,i have the camera set on card 1 raw card 2 jpeg but ime getting raw on both,cant see what i have missed,had a look at the book but it doesn't help me,
You need to adjust two settings: One is "Quality" (RAW + JPG); and the other assigns roles to both of the two available slots (Slot 1 = RAW, Slot 2 = JPG).

Both settings are in the Shooting Menu.

adot45

So happy this was asked and answered. I wanted to do this too for a couple of reasons....still can't figure out why I can't find settings like this on my own, especially when they are right there in front of me, duh, but I have them dialed in now and I thank you both! Dave

Whats the rush to get a shot on Facebook ?

Sometimes when I am out shooting on a Monday morning while all my friends are at work I enjoy showing them what I am doing RIGHT NOW. LOL

Also since I have Lightroom on my phone I can actually get some pretty good editing.

I normally shoot RAW only but on a couple of occasions recently I have had a shoot where quality was not the most important thing so I shot RAW + JPEG so I could just skip all the pot processing I looked at a few and decided to use the RAW because I wanted to tweak the photos just a little. i guess I have just gotten used to being in total control

wornish

But it's not about control it seems to be about get it on Facebook asap no matter what it looks like ?

I really don't understand.

Horoscope Fish

But it's not about control it seems to be about get it on Facebook asap no matter what it looks like ?

I really don't understand.
Because sometimes the need for speed over rides the need for quality. I've had real estate agents that want shots yesterday; literally... yesterday.

In these instances quality is secondary to speed, per the client. In those instances I give them what they're asking for/paying me to do, period.

If I don't they'll find someone who will.

wornish

Because sometimes the need for speed over rides the need for quality. I've had real estate agents that want shots yesterday; literally... yesterday.

In these instances quality is secondary to speed, per the client. In those instances I give them what they're asking for/paying me to do, period.

If I don't they'll find someone who will.

I know, its a crazy world these days.

But I stand by my original comment - why does it have to be on Facebook instantly ? Wont tomorrow do ?

If you want to sell a house it is not going to happen in milliseconds after taking the picture, more likely months.

There is real life out there if only people looked.

Horoscope Fish

But I stand by my original comment - why does it have to be on Facebook instantly?
Because that's what the client wants.

Wont tomorrow do?
That's for the client to decide.

I agree.

That being said, when one of "my" brokers/agents asks if I can deliver X number of shots of property Y by 5PM s/he really means by 4:30PM. It appears it's the nature of the business and listings can be won or lost on such things apparently. We could discuss the philosophical implications until we're blue in the face but from where I sit, that's simply how it is. If I want the job, I do what's asked and the turn around time is what the turn around time is because that's what the client says the turn around has to be and I either accept the job on that basis or I don't. If I choose not to accept too many assignments they'll simply stop asking and find someone who can deliver what they want/need.

I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

Because that's what the client wants.

That's for the client to decide.

I agree.

That being said, when one of "my" brokers/agents asks if I can deliver X number of shots of property Y by 5PM s/he really means by 4:30PM. It appears it's the nature of the business and listings can be won or lost on such things apparently. We could discuss the philosophical implications until we're blue in the face but from where I sit, that's simply how it is. If I want the job, I do what's asked and the turn around time is what the turn around time is because that's what the client says the turn around has to be and I either accept the job on that basis or I don't. If I choose not to accept too many assignments they'll simply stop asking and find someone who can deliver what they want/need.

I'm not really sure how else to explain it.

And there are some editing tools on my iPhone that really can make it look pretty good. I have Lightroom on my phone.

Vixen

But I stand by my original comment - why does it have to be on Facebook instantly ? Wont tomorrow do ?

If you want to sell a house it is not going to happen in milliseconds after taking the picture, more likely months.

and why spend ANY time processing an image that you will delete later. A good jpg is all that is needed for sales eg I sell 2nd hand jewellery on FB. I used to process RAW files but then I decided it was crazy doing that. I now shoot them in jpg and they are ready to go.

And sometimes they do sell in milliseconds if they are good and cheap (and I do sell reasonably cheaply) :D

Daz

I was thinking of it like this ...

In a wedding situation if you had an assistant with you you can get the shots, pop the second card out and hand it to them, they can then get the shots onto the laptop and onto your (and your brides) Facebook page as quick as the damn guests with their shoddy phone pics ...

You then take the RAW card and process the images to the degree you want to ship to go in an album or on disk etc when you are home but you have exceeded your brides expectations..

OR

Have a tablet on the tables for the meal and sit down stuff, have your assistant go straight to getting those Jpegs onto the tablets and whilst the guests are sat eating food they see the ceremony pics ...

Danno

I have mine set up with Raw in Slot 1 and Jpeg in the slot 2. Sunday morning I had a great sunrise so I tried out the wifi to send the shot to my phone. When I clicked on the select field in the menu I was able to select from both cards. I scrolled down to the Jpegs on card 2. Then when I linked my Samsung phone and the connection was made it told me I had the photo that would download as soon as I clicked view photos on camera.

It was pretty slick. I uploaded the sunrise and shared it on FB. It was very simple. I have LR on my phone and my wife drives most the time.

Did I NEED to get it to Facebook right away... No... I just wanted to try it out.

Last edited: