Horse Barrel Rodeo

Just-Clayton

Having been getting into the horse scene. We have quite a few ranches that do mostly barrel racing and trail rides. Since this was inside, lighting was a challenge. Near the end the riders had no problem with flash. So, next event flash.

Attachments

• Watermark635809672189021354.jpg
    Watermark635809672189021354.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 341
  • Watermark635809678056077541.jpg
    Watermark635809678056077541.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 210
  • Watermark635809682244903712.jpg
    Watermark635809682244903712.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 674

sfaribault

Making some wide turns ... Looks good for just starting. Exposure is not bad. I used to shoot jumpers back in my film days, took lots of practice.

rexy

Where you sit/stand in relation to the barrels can make even wide turns look better. Normally their 2nd barrel is the best and it's often difficult to get a good photo when they turn the top barrel unless you're talking professional riders. Of course it all depends on the arena access you have and sometimes you have to try getting photos from the oddest positions. One thing I've discovered over the years, wherever you stand you're never in the right spot for something.

I've worked in some dark arenas, we don't use flashes unless they are set up above where the horses will see them. Shoot at f2.8, high ISO, and you can get as slow as 1/320th shutter speed. Outside is so much easier.

Elliot87

I consider myself a very fortunate Brit who learnt to ride Western on a European Champion quarter horse, whilst most other children learning to ride were plonked on little stubborn ponies. The horse was so well trained I was taking him through obstacle courses at the age of two, noone believes me until they see the few photos my parents still have.

One of my earliest memories is seeing my Pa (yes I was brought up to call my dad Pa, so you can see why I was introduced to western riding) riding around barrels in the sand arena. We'd also go to lots of western riding events and see some of europe's top riders in action.
Essentially I just wanted to say thank you for bringing back some good memories and I hope to see more photos like these.

Just-Clayton

I consider myself a very fortunate Brit who learnt to ride Western on a European Champion quarter horse, whilst most other children learning to ride were plonked on little stubborn ponies. The horse was so well trained I was taking him through obstacle courses at the age of two, noone believes me until they see the few photos my parents still have.

One of my earliest memories is seeing my Pa (yes I was brought up to call my dad Pa, so you can see why I was introduced to western riding) riding around barrels in the sand arena. We'd also go to lots of western riding events and see some of europe's top riders in action.
Essentially I just wanted to say thank you for bringing back some good memories and I hope to see more photos like these.
Here where I live, there are a good dozen arenas. I will post when I get some more shows. I shot a benefit last week.

Last edited: