Does heat affect camera video shutoff?

rijman

I have been having trouble shooting video on my D3200 for 10-15 minutes the last 2 times I shot outside in direct sun on a hot day. The recording shuts off and will go back on if I turn it off for a few minutes, but will record for maybe 2-5 minutes, then shuts off again. I just did a test in the house in slightly cool conditions and the camera recorded for 15 minutes before I turned it off, I played back the video and I got all 15 minutes. So does heat on the camera affect how long it can shoot continuous video?

rocketman122

yes. of course. it has an overheat function in it. same with the flashes. worst is when the POS sb900 overheats and shuts off while im shooting the wedding ceremony on thursday.

rijman

I have been shooting with 2 cameras, the D3200 and D5200, the D5200 has not been affected by the heat while the D3200 has been. Is it possible the D5200 is upgraded to take more heat before it shuts off?

skene

I have been shooting with 2 cameras, the D3200 and D5200, the D5200 has not been affected by the heat while the D3200 has been. Is it possible the D5200 is upgraded to take more heat before it shuts off?

The one difference between the 2 of them is that the one item that generates heat (Live View) is set off the body of the camera due to the articulating LCD screen. This is what would be the item that generates the most heat and causes the heating on the D3XXX bodies.

Nero

New hardware so I wouldn't be surprised if it's got a better ability to deal with heat. Although this isn't always the case. For example the Snapdragon 810 processor they use in some of the latest smartphones. lol

rocketman122

mfrs should not be using the 810 chip. they know it overheats yet still put it in their phones clocked down. whats the point. id rather have the 808 and a minute performance hit. for shame on qualcomm for even sending it to production.

samsung is the first to be testing the 820 and it too might be a heavy heater.

Nero

Based on some tests, most phones don't actually get that hot. Seems that the heat issue might have been exaggerated like everything else seems to be these days. Hopefully they can fix the issue for good with the new model though.

aroy

I have been having trouble shooting video on my D3200 for 10-15 minutes the last 2 times I shot outside in direct sun on a hot day. The recording shuts off and will go back on if I turn it off for a few minutes, but will record for maybe 2-5 minutes, then shuts off again. I just did a test in the house in slightly cool conditions and the camera recorded for 15 minutes before I turned it off, I played back the video and I got all 15 minutes. So does heat on the camera affect how long it can shoot continuous video?

Though sensor heats up with prolonged use as does the screen during live view, here in India I have never faced this problem with my D3300. The ambient when I shot video last was 36 degrees centigrade. If the camera is still in warranty, please get it checked - tell them what the problem is exactly.