Nikon 50mm 1.4D vs Nikon 50mm1.4G

Dragonfly

Banned
Is one better than the other, I just read that the older d model focuses just a bit faster than the G that has it's own motor. I however would like the included hood and case that comes with the G. The lens is for close up outdoors field work, or under heavy tree canopy where light goes down. I am still using a 24mm2.8D that I bought in 1992, but want to see what shots I can get with a 1.4. So any ideas on these two? Thanks Jim

PS here are some of my photos. https://www.flickr.com/photos/136279335@N04/

Dragonfly

Banned
7100 and I am likely going to be buying another body as well, in part because the 7100's sensor has a higher pixel density than does the D810, though not everyone wants to believe this.

Bill16

I don't have the 50mm f1.4, but II love my af-d lenses, and I just bought my Nikkor af 85mm f1.4 D lens! I believe the G lenses are a little bit sharper, but my D lenses have been plenty sharp for me, especially for the cost saving and build quality! :)
My new lens being primarily a portrait lens, I can only offer a portrait of my wife right now as an example shot of my only(so far) f1.4 lens!

dsc_6691sized.jpg

Last edited:

Dragonfly

Banned
You bought the PC-E lens? or is there another 85mm1.4D not listed in the Nikon catalog? I actually read that the D lens is sharper and that the G50mm 1.4 has a lot of straight line distortion, not sure if that matters Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G Review

Last edited:

Bill16

Mine is not a PC lens. It is just a af Nikkor 85mm f1.4 D lens! :)
I paid $750.00 for it, and just got it today from the post office! I'm just sharing my opinion of the f1.4 lens I have so far. With it being a Nikkor af-d lens, I'm even more impressed with the af-d line of Nikkor lenses!
My knowledge of G lenses is very limited, and I mostly go with how well I like a lens or series of lenses, than checking out their IQ(to be honest)! G lenses are generally just to spendy for me when I can get these awesome af-d lenses cheaply by comparison! :)

So in truth I'm too bias in favor of af-d lenses,to be a very good judge between af-d vs G lenses!

You bought the PC-E lens? or is there another 85mm1.4D not listed in the Nikon catalog? I actually read that the D lens is sharper and that the G50mm 1.4 has a lot of straight line distortion, not sure if that matters Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G Review

singlerosa_RIP

7100 and I am likely going to be buying another body as well, in part because the 7100's sensor has a higher pixel density than does the D810, though not everyone wants to believe this.

You're right, the pixel densities are in the specs.Naysayers can Google. But what does pixel density have to do with you needing another body? Are the pixels too dense on your 7100? :) Anyway, I've had a 1.4D for about 10 years and it's a very nice, metal, Made in Japan lens. I just got a 7200 and look forward to using the 50 for some "street" portrait shots at my wife's bar this weekend..

Dragonfly

Banned
You're right, the pixel densities are in the specs.Naysayers can Google. But what does pixel density have to do with you needing another body? Are the pixels too dense on your 7100? :) Anyway, I've had a 1.4D for about 10 years and it's a very nice, metal, Made in Japan lens. I just got a 7200 and look forward to using the 50 for some "street" portrait shots at my wife's bar this weekend..
The second body is for having two lenses mounted in tandem, because I do not take a lot of landscape photos, because with one body my 80-200 r 80-400 is always mounted. Also with two bodies on occasion my wife can take pictures of me taking pictures.

Dragonfly

Banned
Mine is not a PC lens. It is just a af Nikkor 85mm f1.4 D lens! :)
I paid $750.00 for it, and just got it today from the post office! I'm just sharing my opinion of the f1.4 lens I have so far. With it being a Nikkor af-d lens, I'm even more impressed with the af-d line of Nikkor lenses!
My knowledge of G lenses is very limited, and I mostly go with how well I like a lens or series of lenses, than checking out their IQ(to be honest)! G lenses are generally just to spendy for me when I can get these awesome af-d lenses cheaply by comparison! :)

So in truth I'm too bias in favor of af-d lenses,to be a very good judge between af-d vs G lenses!

I guess I is used, because there is no lens in the current catalog, though Nikon did clearly make it. If it is better than the G, they will resume production like they did with the 80-200D. Good Luck with the new lens.

Bill16

Yes it is used! :) Sorry I forgot to mention that, since I buy mostly used due to the high costs! :)

I guess I is used, because there is no lens in the current catalog, though Nikon did clearly make it. If it is better than the G, they will resume production like they did with the 80-200D. Good Luck with the new lens.