Question about sensor cleaning ...

Daz

So as some of you know I recently made the jump from a D3300 to a used D600, the site I got it from said that the sensor was clean of dust but its not ... now its not a major issue, I still got a great camera for the price I paid !

BUT I want to get the sensor cleaned, I have a couple options here,

I am thinking of sending it in to Nikon to get the shutter issue fixed if it is eligible, will they clean it at the same time?

There is an open day next week at a camera shop where they are offering sensor cleaning free (just a donation to charity)

How easy is it to clean the sensor myself? I have rebuilt 2 stroke engines in my time so am not afraid of a challenge, just dont want to mess up something so highly important as a sensor on the camera

Moab Man

Sensor cleaning is easy, it's the nervousness of doing it. I use the sticky cube on a stick sensor cleaning stick. I can't remember the name.

Daz

Yes eyelead is the one. I have had mine for a couple of years and have used it on 4 different cameras. Does a good job with dust and it easy to use Never had oil so I can't answer for that.

Thanks Don ! its been ordered and is arriving tomorrow :D looking on the Photography Life website the guy said he has used it on a D600 and got rid of oil spots ... I'll report back when i get it tomorrow :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I am thinking of sending it in to Nikon to get the shutter issue fixed if it is eligible, will they clean it at the same time?

When I sent my D600 in THREE times (in the USA), they cleaned the low pass filter which is what really collects the spots (not the actual sensor). However, even after having the shutter replaced and getting it cleaned of spots/debris, it still continued to get spotted with goop. After having the shutter replaced, they scratched the actual sensor during the repair--don't ask me how they managed to do that because I have no clue.

Even though I had my difficulties, I would still suggest you send yours in to get the shutter replaced. It was somewhat better afterwards but not entirely spot-free. My D610 is WAY better.

Daz

I now have the Eyelead, it is the blue one, time to have a go at sensor cleaning .... Nervous is an understatement !

Daz

Let us know how this worked. Thanks Ed

Just finished, as soon as you get over the fact you are sticking something into the camera where you really shouldnt do it went well !!

When I took the dirt off the Gel Head there was some, not as much as I thought there was certainly some on there, looks like there is one oil spot at the top right of the frame at the moment that I cant get rid of, I am heading out this weekend to get some firework shots so I will be able to get away with it ...

I did a long exposure of the London Eye a few weeks ago and you can see at 1700 there is a black spot inside the eye, hopefully this has now gone !!

I think i'll look at sending off the camera for the replacements shutter after this weekend

SkvLTD

Check your shutter count, then if its high enough, I'd send it to Nikon just to refresh the body. Otherwise stick should do the job just fine.

JMHPhotography

I have the same issue I bough the D600 for a great deal knowing what I was getting into with the sensor. At first it wasn't bad now its un editable. So I am actually shipping it back to nikon today and they are replacing the sensor for free. Might be worth it for you to check it out. I will post when I get it back and let you know how the whole process went if you would like.

Jeannette

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I have the same issue I bough the D600 for a great deal knowing what I was getting into with the sensor. At first it wasn't bad now its un editable. So I am actually shipping it back to nikon today and they are replacing the sensor for free. Might be worth it for you to check it out. I will post when I get it back and let you know how the whole process went if you would like.

Jeannette

Do you mean they will replace the shutter? The sensor doesn't have anything to do with the D600's spot issue.

Daz

I have the same issue I bough the D600 for a great deal knowing what I was getting into with the sensor. At first it wasn't bad now its un editable. So I am actually shipping it back to nikon today and they are replacing the sensor for free. Might be worth it for you to check it out. I will post when I get it back and let you know how the whole process went if you would like.Jeannette

That would be great, I think the spot has gone now, couldn't see it on my long exposure firework shots from the last couple days but I still need the shutter doing.

Do you mean they will replace the shutter? The sensor doesn't have anything to do with the D600's spot issue.

If oil has built up enough on the sensor that it cant be cleaned off, then I can see why they would replace the sensor too ...