Thinking of getting a D3300

paul48603

Hi everyone. I am a former Canon dslr user. I sold my old canon 40D and lenses a while back and am getting the itch to get back in the dslr hobby. I have done tons of research and narrowed my choice down to the Nikon D3300. How is the sensor on this camera? Is it hard to keep clean? Are there any new cleaning supplies for dslr lenses? That was probably my biggest pain in owning a dslr. I currently own 2 high end Canon compacts. I wll probably get the 18-55kit lens. What other lenses would be appropriate for this camera. My main shooting will be landscapes and portraits/candid portraits. Not really into sports. Would the 18-55 pretty much be all I need?

mikew_RIP

Not had a D3300 but we dont read any stories about dust being more of a problem with it than any other,from you interests i would vote for the 18-140, apart from any thing the less lens changes you make the less likley you are to get dust bunnies on the sensor.

paul48603

Not had a D3300 but we dont read any stories about dust being more of a problem with it than any other,from you interests i would vote for the 18-140, apart from any thing the less lens changes you make the less likley you are to get dust bunnies on the sensor.

Mike- is there anyway I can get the D3300 with the 18-140 instead of the 18-55?

Horoscope Fish

Mike- is there anyway I can get the D3300 with the 18-140 instead of the 18-55?
You may need to buy the D3300 as "body only" and get the 18-140mm separately. It might be a little added hassle having to buy the two items separately, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

I strongly agree with getting the 18-140mm over the 18-55mm; it's far more versatile. If nothing else I'm sure you'll quickly appreciate the added focal length when shooting portraits.

nickt

Adorama has 18-140 refurbs for ~$210 right now. Not to rush you, but they wont last long. Great lens and great price. $260 is around the usual refurb price if you can find them and they approach $500 new.

aroy

Get the D3300 with the kit 18-55 lens. It is an excellent piece of glass. The IQ is much better than any other zoom at 3 times the price. With 24MP sensor, I rarely need longer focal length for casual shots, just crop out what you want. For Net posting you rarely need more than 2000 pixels to the long side, most forums prefer 1000, that means you can crop aggressively and still get a sharp clear image. What makes life much more interesting is the 35mm F1.8DX. This is my go-to low light lens.

Daz

Yup a 3300 is an excellent start out camera, I used it for all sorts, Wedding, F1, Landscapes very diverse, only drawback I found was limitations in low light photography, a speedlite fixed that for me though

aroy

Yup a 3300 is an excellent start out camera, I used it for all sorts, Wedding, F1, Landscapes very diverse, only drawback I found was limitations in low light photography, a speedlite fixed that for me though

The image quality is same as that of D5xxx and D7xxx, what you loose, are a lot of functions which can be clubbed under "convenience". So as a basic camera it is par excellence.

A speedlight is fine for closer objects, what you will miss is taking images at ISO 1600 or more of wild life, which is out of the range of the speedlight.

Daz

A speedlight is fine for closer objects, what you will miss is taking images at ISO 1600 or more of wild life, which is out of the range of the speedlight.

Like I said, for the photos I was taking a speedlight in low light worked for ME :)