Weekly Challenge August 3-10: Candid Smiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browncoat

_DSC0280.jpg

Candid Smiles
Weekly Challenge August 3-10

The winner of the previous challenge was Kim20. She issued this challenge and will be judging the entries. Good luck everyone!

A smile can brighten anyone's day. Nothing makes me feel happier than to see someone with a smile on their face, and laughter in their heart. This week's challenge is to capture a "candid" smile that shows love and the simple joy of living. I am looking for that special moment when the person is not aware of the photographer. It can be a stranger or some one very close, just be candid.

Smiles can be found in many places, so get out there and start smile hunting. My goal is to maybe put a smile on your face as well while out taking these photos!

Be sure to visit the Weekly Challenge Rules & Guidelines for more information. This thread will be closed on August 10th...so get those photos in!

The Rules

1. Photos must be posted to the thread in order to be considered for the challenge.
  2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by you! Because not all EXIF data can be verified, we will use the honor system here.
  3. Challenges will be judged solely by the winner of the previous week. There will be no individual voting.
  4. Only one photo entry per member, for each challenge.

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Challenge, unless specifically noted by the site administrator. This is a member-run contest, and the purpose of the Weekly Challenge is to encourage member participation on the forums and to keep you taking pictures!

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited/straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Last edited:

AxeMan - Rick S.

Re: Weekly Challenge August 3-10: Smiles

Thanks Kim, your not going to make this easy are you? I'm glad this challenge has been chosen. This is one area I need to work on, and it gives me the perfect excuse to start this project I stumbled on.

100 Strangers

Mis Adam

I may be jumping the laughter on this one but I love it. laughing girls skipping along the trail while Im looking for railroad shots.8 3 11 (89).jpg

JoeLewisPhotography

Kim20 said:
I am looking for that special moment when the person is not aware of the photographer. It can be a stranger or some one very close, just be candid.

Maybe the title needs to be edited to read CANDID SMILES as no one seems to read the descriptions before posting.

Browncoat

Joe does have a point, and edits have been made. The weekly challenge submissions are subject to individual judging by the challenge issuer. As such, he or she will exercise their own judgement when choosing a winner.

On the flip side, each challenge also says that the photographer can interpret the challenge subject however they want. I have personally selected winners on many occasions who went outside the box and did something different and deviated from the norm.

Kim20

Thanks Kim, your not going to make this easy are you? I'm glad this challenge has been chosen. This is one area I need to work on, and it gives me the perfect excuse to start this project I stumbled on.

100 Strangers

I had actually planned on the challenge being "summer fun" but this pic was taken right after untying my stepdaughter, and letting her "Off the Tracks". Amanda really enjoyed helping me with the Railway Tracks challenge, so I chose this in honor of her. (and look at that smile!) Thanks Amanda, for being such a good sport! :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Orchestra rehearsal

candid smiles.jpg
D7000, 70-200 2.8 @ 2.8, ISO 4000, 1/320

Dave Hamilton

This picture was taken by my daughter’s best friend in November 2010 and is therefore not eligible for the challenge. I had promised Heather a trip to Canada for her 16th birthday. This picture was taken as we were about to take off from Denver. Heather is my little Angel, and her best friend who came with us is my daughter’s angel! The two of them are sisters in every meaning of the word! I love them both dearly!

The real reason for my post is to inform you all that I did make it through my open-heart surgery. It will be two weeks on Monday and I’m making slow, but steady, progress. This was my second open heart and it was at least 5 times harder than the surgery 7 years ago. There were times when things were very touch and go, but in the end, the prayers of my family and friends, and the fact that I’m just not ready to leave my wonderful wife and daughter (and her BFF Emma), all put together to give me a will to come through a very tough procedure.

So the good news is that I’ll be taking many more pictures, the bad news is that you all will have to tolerate them here at Nikonites!

print_3.jpg

Carolina Photo Guy

VERY happy to hear that DUDE!

I didn't know this was your second induction to the zipper club!

You take it easy and rest. We'll be waiting' right here for ya.

:):):):):)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Take your sweet time to recover fully Dave. Glad to hear you're going uphill from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.