Nikon's Best Bang for the Buck...... the D3300

TedG954

10-29-15 Tradewinds   1.jpg

10-29-15 Tradewinds   2.jpg

10-29-15 Tradewinds   3.jpg

10-29-15 Tradewinds   4.jpg

aroy

I agree that the D3300 and its kit lens is the best VFM DSLR - light, good battery and cheap. I am still using the D3300. Completed 18 months and 46,000 shots.

Blacktop

The best bang for the buck? If you're buying new, perhaps the D3300. However if buying refurb, I think you can't beat the D7100 when it comes to "bang for the buck"

Just my opinion, since I have not used the 3300. I could be wrong, like usual.:cool:

TedG954

Thank you. The links in your post go to the same site, same lens. My Tokina is the Tokina AF 12-24mm f/4 AT-X 124 Pro DX II Lens. It has the motor for autofocusing. I believe the other lens you are referring requires MF only.

tea2085

TeD, apparently this model has been discontinued and is going to be hard to find. I really wanted to get the same lens as it seems to take great pics on your 3300. I will keep looking! Paul

tea2085

Thanks Ted= that will probably be the one I buy. I have to save some but in a few weeks I will order a lens. This one is even less money than your lens, just hope it will perform as well. Paul

tea2085

What I like about your photos is the crispness and depth of field ( and your artistic rendering) , Do you believe the lens you directed me to would work as well. Paul

TedG954

What I like about your photos is the crispness and depth of field ( and your artistic rendering) , Do you believe the lens you directed me to would work as well. Paul

I absolutely believe that the new lens is as good as, and probably better, than the one I am using. Like I said, I'd buy one.

Wolfeye

I have to throw one note of caution into this discussion, as far as Tokina is concerned. They have a long history of being one of the worst service companies to deal with. YMMV :)

TedG954

I have to throw one note of caution into this discussion, as far as Tokina is concerned. They have a long history of being one of the worst7 service companies to deal with. YMMV :)

I have to disagree. I dropped my Tokina 12-24/4 off a bridge and it bounced off a few rocks before settling in the dirt. I sent it to Tokina Service in California and got it back in about 2 weeks. The lens looked like new and works great. Total cost was around $200. I thought their service was very good.

Wolfeye

I have to disagree. I dropped my Tokina 12-24/4 off a bridge and it bounced off a few rocks before settling in the dirt. I sent it to Tokina Service in California and got it back in about 2 weeks. The lens looked like new and works great. Total cost was around $200. I thought their service was very good.

Good to know! I have always dismissed Tokina based on their reputation for bad service. Things change.

aroy

Depends where you are. Unlike Nikon or Sigma, you can say that Tokina service is patchy - excellent some places, average at some and non existent at others (none in India, that I know of)

tea2085

Ted, got my new lens today, the one you suggested. It's a beauty. I immediately took it out in the back yerd as we just got our first snowfall this A.M. I shot in F8 and F22 and then auto. The pics were clear and crisp like yours. The artistic composition not like yours. But what I found was that the F8 pictures had the best dof and crispness. I noted that you shot most of your pics with this setting. Is F8 a sweet spot for this lens? Thanks for your guidance- love the lens!! Paul