dropped d750 and broke flash ( advice needed) see pics

deepdesign00

As you can see below. My d750 fell off my tripod. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it repaired? Is it something That I could fix myself? Where can I find parts? The plastic on the right side where the metal hinge connects to the flash seems to have snapped off. So it looks like Id need to buy a whole new flash. I found one on eBay for 99.99. The only problem is I have no idea where the wires connect. Im thinking the best bet would be to send in to Nikon. I have already visited their site. The only option that I see for repair is dropped camera and it looks like it cost around 300.00 Could it cost more? or even less? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Nikon D750 Top Flash Pop Up Replacement Repair Part DH6459 | eBay

IMG_0207.jpgIMG_0206.jpgIMG_0205.jpgIMG_0204.jpg

Fred Kingston

Google "Nikon Flash repair" for YouTube videos. There are several that go thru the step-by-step of making various repairs... and should give you feel for what's needed...

hrstrat57

If everything else is functioning 100% I think I would just push it down and buy a nice Nikon Speed light. Higher performance and likely cheaper solution.

My .02
(sorry about the drop tho)

:(

Horoscope Fish

If everything else is functioning 100% I think I would just push it down and buy a nice Nikon Speed light.
Probably what I'd do as well. Close the pop-up and forget it's there. Then get a Yongnuo 568EX for about $100, and get on with life.

That... Or suck it up and send it in to Nikon, along with the pound or two of flesh they'll demand.

By the way... You weren't by any chance using a Manfrotto quick-release head when this incident occurred, were you? Just curious.

RocketCowboy

Ouch!

I agree with Don though ... for what you paid for the D750, I would probably send the unit to Nikon to repair if I decided to go that route. Can the pop-up flash be secured if left in it's current state of dis-repair?

I also really like the the other suggestions to get a Nikon or Yongnuo speed light if you decide NOT to go that route. About the only time I use the pop-up flash is as a commander, not contributing any light to the scene. The YN568EX functions fine on camera as a CLS commander, and I've also used SB-700/910s on and off camera as well. Unless I really need to slim down on gear and not take external flash as part of your kit, this is probably the cheapest and most flexible option.

SteveH

I'd have it repaired properly too - Even just for the sake of years down the line when you decide to upgrade again, you will get full value.

It could also be worth finding out how much it would cost in future to insure your gear - Depending where you are from you get some reasonable deals.

mikew_RIP

Probably what I'd do as well. Close the pop-up and forget it's there. Then get a Yongnuo 568EX for about $100, and get on with life.

That... Or suck it up and send it in to Nikon, along with the pound or two of flesh they'll demand.

By the way... You weren't by any chance using a Manfrotto quick-release head when this incident occurred, were you? Just curious.

Why the question,are you like me not a fan of them,i have the 496rc2 ball,no complaints about the ball but would like to swap the top plate for a Arca Swiss.

Horoscope Fish

Why the question,are you like me not a fan of them,i have the 496rc2 ball,no complaints about the ball but would like to swap the top plate for a Arca Swiss.
I've had a couple mishaps in the past, both involving the Manfrotto QD plates, where the locking mechanism failed and the attached camera took a tumble.

john*thomas

Tough call......I would be tempted to just do the Speedlight but dang.....a D750......I'd be tempted to want to send it in to make sure all else was good.

You would regain most in resale if that was anywhere in the near future by sending it in to get it fixed correctly.

Horoscope Fish

Do you think i would be able to replace the top plate and keep the ball head.
Manfrotto plates are proprietary to Manfrotto ballheads; a lot of manufacturers do that and I find it really annoying.

Another thing that really grinds my gears is, "Arca Swiss style" which means it's based on the Arca Swiss design, same general concept, but it's not compatible with the Arca Swiss design in some way.

RocketCowboy

Another thing that really grinds my gears is, "Arca Swiss style" which means it's based on the Arca Swiss design, same general concept, but it's not compatible with the Arca Swiss design in some way.

You mean like the Manfrotto "Arca Swiss style" head? Yeah, I gave up on that and replaced my head with a Benro so that I wouldn't have to double check every Arca plate I picked up to make sure it would work with the Manfrotta head.