Teleconverter Suggestions

Vinnydude

I'm looking at getting a cheap teleconverter for my partners mum as she is complaining that her 18-200mm tamron won't go in close enough.

What's cheap and will work with auto focus?

mikew_RIP

Do you mean to bring distant things closer or to make small things bigger,the first i dont think you will manage as i do not see a converter working with that lens,the second could be done with a close up filter screwed on the front of the lens,IQ would depend a lot on how much you spent.

Vinnydude

It's to get more zoom, so yeah to bring distant things closer and as it is a macro lens, pictures of small things close up.

As the Tamron is a macro lens anyway, it still needs a good 50cm distance to obtain focus, so you may be right with a macro filter.

I'm more of a wide angle kind of guy, hence me asking for advice!

aroy

I think that you want a longer focal length, so that the 200mm becomes 300 or 400mm? Most of the teleconverters are designed to work with fast (F4 or faster) primes. Pairing them with consumer zooms is not very satisfactory. A teleconverter on a consumer grade lens will work but
. The IQ will be quite bad, and with a cheap teleconverter, horrible.
. You will loose AF on most consumer zoom lenses due to high minimum aperture, even if the TC has contacts. A cheap one may not have contacts, so no AF.
. An external add on lens will have the same problems as a TC, but if it does not work, you will loose less.

The only method that I know of getting higher magnification of distant objects with decent IQ, is to get a lens that has a higher focal length. Among the lower cost zooms is the 70-300, followed by the new 200-500. Beyond that are professional zooms and telephoto primes. Ultimately if you want good good IQ, you will have to pay more.

Last edited: