Is there something you can buy for shock absorbing during filming on a DSLR?

paul_b

I like to video my child when she is running her races (mostly towards the finish line).

As i walk filming with the camera the video being filmed can become shaky as i move.

I've noticed when watching football on television that certain mobile cameramen on the side of the pitch have video cameras that have some kind of shock absorbers attached to them to reduce camera shake as they move around whilst filming. Obviously i can't afford a system like theirs but i was wondering is something similar but more basic exists that you can attach to the bottom of the DSLR (the tripod mount)?

Does anybody have experience of this or know of what devices exist or what i should search for?

Thanks

PapaST

You should check out "camera stabilizer" on Amazon. That should be a decent start for you. They can be fairly inexpensive to VERY expensive. Hope that helps.

nickt

There were a couple threads here in recent months, not a lot of info, but maybe a start. Just do a forum search for "video stabilizer" and they turn up near the top. No have no personal knowledge or understanding, I just remember seeing the threads and being curious. On guy posted a video to a homemade device.

paul_b

I was initially imagining that there would of been just a handheld stick with a shock absorber in it (like a car's). Shows how much i know, lol.

Thanks, some interesting suggestions and things to go on. Will do some research now.