Long Exposure

Cameragirl78

Hi, I'm trying to take some long exposure shots, I'm using the d7100, 18-55 lens a hoya nd8 filter, I had the camera in manual set to bulb and f16, iso at 100, auto focused then changed that to manual and put the filter on then pressed the remote release for a few different exposures but all of the shots were all over exposed, stuck on this atm so any help suggestions greatly appreciated thanks

Fred Kingston

How long (in seconds) were you holding the shutter down? Why weren't you using one of the shutter speeds (start with 10 seconds) instead of using BULB ?

nikonpup

sounds like you have "bulb" open to long. Try working down from a 30 sec shutter speed till you find what looks good in the display.

Moab Man

Over-exposed - shutter is open too long.

Under-exposed - shutter is not open long enough.

Very seldom do I actually have to go into bulb mode.

After the shot look at the histogram. If you're not familiar with the histogram I would strongly suggest you learn it. A very useful tool where the playback of the image cannot really show you what the histogram can tell you.

Of course, you can always make adjustments to the ISO or aperture, but I think you get the idea.

Fred Kingston

Here is how you should use the ND filter...

Using a tripod... Meter the shot like you would normally meter the shot...
If you're using an ND-8 we'll assume that's an 8 stop filter.
Adjust either aperture/iso/shutter 8 stops
attach the filter and take your shot...

If you want to using a particular aperture, then meter for aperture, and adjust one of the other two settings shutter/ISO

RocketCowboy

I would check the meter reading on the camera after adding the ND filter to see what the camera meters to. I've seldom needed exposures over 15 seconds, but without a frame of reference on what you were shooting it's hard to say.

One thought though ... if shooting long exposures, make sure you also have the viewfinder covered so that you don't get light leak back into the camera from that side.