Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 G

Browncoat

I've waited all summer long to get my hands on this lens. The newspaper I've been interning for doesn't have much of their own gear: a beat up D200 and couple even more beat up lenses. Needless to say, I've been using my own stuff. However, despite the fact that the rubber grip on the focus ring came unglued, and that it looks like it's been through hell and back...I just couldn't wait to shoot with the 17-55mm. And I wasn't disappointed.

First, you should know that this is a $1,400 pro level lens. It's big and heavy, and built like a tank. It has to be to stand up to years of abuse at a newspaper. As far as its construction, my only complaint is that the focus ring is a bit too close to the body, but that's something you can adjust to over time.

Here is my first shot with this lens, done for the weekly challenge. I had in my head exactly what kind of shot I wanted, and the 17-55 gave me the warped perspective I was looking for. I can't wait to use it some more, and it's going to be very difficult to give it back! This one is definitely next on my NAS list. Here are a couple more HDR photos taken for the railroad tracks challenge with this lens:

HDR-Train-2.jpg

HDR-Train-3.jpg

Browncoat

Now, compare the wide angle shots above to a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 below. This shot was taken earlier the same day in just about the same location.

HDR-Train-4.jpg

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought a used Nikon 17-55 a couple years ago. It is - by far - my most used lens. It is heavy, but the results are well worth it IMHO. Nice shots, too!

As far as your NAS, I snabbed mine from somebody that had upgraded to FX. I believe I paid a bit over US$900 3 1/2 years ago. Well worth every penny.

Browncoat

Yup, my NAS radar has been fine tuned to searching for any deals or sales on this lens. It will nicely round out my essential collection, filling the need for a wide angle and handling the bottom end of the focal range. After this purchase, I'll probably just get a few niche prime lenses.

bluenoser

Banned
I can see why you like it Anthony! Super looking image (and nicely done HDR).

I bought this lens used earlier this year and it has rarely come off my D7000 - it just oozes quality (although I did mix up the zoom and focus rings from time to time! LOL!) For DX - IMHO - the 17-55 range is more practical/useful than say a lens like the (incredible) 24-70. The 70-200 VRII is on my NAS list but I'll have to sell a kidney and a few other things to get it anytime soon. :)

I'm not sure if I would have ponied up for the 17-55 brand new - awfully expensive - but I got a great deal at $820 which made it impossible to pass up. I will say that the heft of the lens did inspire me to get the MB-D11 grip to add better balance :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your 17-55 images.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I came very close to getting this lens. I got the 16-35 F4 VR instead and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. If you are planning for the long run, I'd get an FX lens instead of a DX. Unless you find a good used deal. I'm more than happy with the Tamron on DX. But I'm even more impressed with the 16-35 on D700.

Browncoat

I enjoyed mine, but it had a terrible flare issue.
I noticed that too. The lens hood for this one is long gone, so I don't know if that will help any or not. I'm hoping so.

I did put a UV filter on it while out shooting today and that seemed to help.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I always shoot with the lens hood and haven't noticed an issue. (No UV filter either.) I'll watch for it now.

ThePhotoLegend

Simply stunning photos! My personal opinion is that a photo should leave one in awe either because of the sheer beauty of the capture or because of the emotion it elicits. Well done sir!

JoeLewisPhotography

My 17-55 hasn't left my body since the day I got it. I love LOVE it. I only notice flare when shooting into the sun or and extremely bright light. but that's with any lens. Other then that, zero complaints. I have had mine from time to time and still occasionally gran the focus ring, thinking it is the zoom....that is the only quirk, but the trade off is worth it.

Sambr

The 17-55 2.8 is known for it's flare - using the lens hood helps lots. I bought mine 3 years ago, paid full price and have never regretted the purchase. It is my most used lens on my D300 along with the 70-200vr.

gav329

Hi Anthony

I'm no expert but I'm thinking of the 17-50mm tamron. I realise that's not one of the lenses you used in this test, but can you tell me what the difference is between your Nikon and tamron shots are apart from what you see in the viewfinder. Thanks coz I'm learning what to look for.

Gav

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk