rules of composition layers

Ellie

so i'm doing a presentation on composition, and I was wondering if any of you guys had any layers/pictures or a link to any that I could use on top of my photos, all of the ones I can find on the internet have a background on or they can be downloaded for adobe photoshop which I don't have, so I need things like the golden spiral, rule of triangles and any others for rules of composition...I need it before school so if anyone could help me asap it would be awesome!
thank youuuu

Horoscope Fish

google "composition rules" and click on the images tab
I may be misinterpreting, but I think she want's, say for instance, a Golden Spiral "template" she can overlay on some of her own images.

If that's the case all I can come up with is opening the shot in Photoshop, overlaying one of the composition "grids" from the Crop tool and taking a screen shot; assuming that's even possible... And I'm not entirely sure it is.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

I'm not sure what she's asking... There are Rule overlays in the crop tool in Lightroom that automatically resize based on the image... allowing you to pan/move the cropped image to fit the rule... but I don'y think you can 'print' those with your image for presentation purposes...

I was thinking she could use the google images with a transparent background as an overlay... but she states she's not using PS... so I don't know which software she's using that might already have the rule overlays built in... or allow a transparent overlay to be used...

Horoscope Fish

I'm not sure what she's asking... There are Rule overlays in the crop tool in Lightroom that automatically resize based on the image... allowing you to pan/move the cropped image to fit the rule... but I don'y think you can 'print' those with your image for presentation purposes...

I was thinking she could use the google images with a transparent background as an overlay... but she states she's not using PS... so I don't know which software she's using that might already have the rule overlays built in... or allow a transparent overlay to be used...
I'm assuming this is what she wants to do... Below is one of my photos I've opened in Photoshop. I've used the Crop Tool's "Golden Mean" overlay and taken a screenshot. I wouldn't know how to do this in anything other than Photoshop however:
Screen Shot 001.jpg

wornish

I'm assuming this is what she wants to do... Below is one of my photos I've opened in Photoshop. I've used the Crop Tool's "Golden Mean" overlay and taken a screenshot. I wouldn't know how to do this in anything other than Photoshop however:

Lightroom does exactly the same when you select crop tool from the Develop - Basics group. It cycles through all the various guides if you hit the "O" key.

You could then take a screenshot of each guide type.