External flash to use off-camera with D5000

witm

Hi all first post :)

(I apologise if this has been asked before, I have had a look and cannot find any clear definite answers)

I own a Nikon D5000 and I'm planning on investing on a external flash. I understand that there are the Nikon speedlights which, being made by Nikon, will be easier for a newbie to use. I'm also aware there are other that will work very well with the D5000 but have not investigated them yet.

1) My main query is the use of the flash off-camera. I do not think the D5000 has a 'commander' function (please correct me if I am wrong) so the question is does that mean there are absolutely NO flashes on the market that I will be able to use off-camera with just the D5000 without any other devices/wires. If the answer to this is unfortunately no then...

2) Which combinations of Flash (using as remote/slave) and which other 'device' (using as commander/master) should I buy so that I can both use the Flash on the hotshoe and use off-camera?

Please note: as a newbie I wont be using all the super-advanced features, it's mainly to get me into using lighting properly, so I don't mind being recommended an older flash just as long as I can use it on and off- camera with relative ease. However it'll be nice to have all the info to hand including the very latest as I may just invest in a top spec one and slowly start using the advanced features.

Many MANY thanks for any assistance you can give.

Browncoat

Moving this to the flash forum...

You are correct, the D5000 does not have a Commander function. If you're interested in off-camera speedlights, definitely check out Strobist. In particular, the Lighting 101 series, which will get you well on your way to understanding the kind of gear you'll need.

witm

Hi Antony, thanks for moving this to it's relevant area. And thank for the links I will have a good read of that site.

You've mentioned in another post regarding wireless lighting:

Typically, you can use the camera's [D40] pop-up flash to trigger the SB-600. But this is just with cameras equipped with i-TTL if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think the D40 has that.

Do you know if I can do this with the D5000? ie use the D5000's pop up flash to trigger the SB-600?
Based on your previous comment am I right in thinking this setup is correct for use ON the camera only, and as soon as I remove the flash from the camera the only way I can use the flash is by connecting a commander to the camera?

Last edited:

Browncoat

Most off-camera lighting units (speedlights, even studio lights) have a built-in slave sensor. The slave will trigger the flash when it senses light from another flash. So no, the intended use of this function is for off camera lighting. The D5000 is an i-TTL camera, so you will be able to use any Nikon flash as described above. However, lack of a Commander mode will seriously limit your ability to use more than 1 speedlight at a time.

If I were you, I would seriously consider going with manual flashes like the one suggested on the Strobist site. The learning curve is steep, but your options are limitless. Manual speedlights are a lot cheaper too.