Veil flick...

kevy73

Was lucky to photograph an amazing wedding last weekend. The bride had what they were calling a Cathedral Veil - It was huge... and quite heavy too with the lace around the edges - flicking it was tricky.

I asked the bride to walk away from me and give her veil and occasional flick out. I wasn't sure it would work all that well, but I thought it worth a try.

Got this cracker of a shot...

12068599_1172131519469188_8349198457342739196_o.jpg

Whole set is HERE

Last edited:

Blacktop

Was lucky to photograph an amazing wedding last weekend. The bride had what they were calling a Cathedral Veil - It was huge... and quite heavy too with the lace around the edges - flicking it was tricky.

I asked the bride to walk away from me and give her veil and occasional flick out. I wasn't sure it would work all that well, but I thought it worth a try.

Whole set is HERE

Checked out the set. Fantastic shots Kevin.

I used to shoot wedding a few decades ago and swore I would never do it again. Well my son is getting married next month and he insists that I shoot the wedding. His bride to be thinks that is a great idea. Been working of my skills for that kind of shoot since it is far from what kind of shooting I normally do now. Anyway, I saw this photo of the Veil flick today and then went in to see all your photos. They are fantastic. I plan on stealing several of your ideas. Don't worry though, I am zero competition. Again, this wedding set is fantastic.

BobB

Whole set is HERE

What a gorgeous one-of-a-kind shot. Bet the bride was thrilled. Congratulations Kevin on a very clever image.

kevy73

Don, you are welcome to steal anything you choose... If you have any specific questions on setups, idea's please don't hesitate to ask. I have shot lots of weddings and learnt from countless mistakes.

Same goes for anyone. Never hesitate to shoot me a message or email if there is something specific you would like to know....

I used to shoot wedding a few decades ago and swore I would never do it again. Well my son is getting married next month and he insists that I shoot the wedding. His bride to be thinks that is a great idea. Been working of my skills for that kind of shoot since it is far from what kind of shooting I normally do now. Anyway, I saw this photo of the Veil flick today and then went in to see all your photos. They are fantastic. I plan on stealing several of your ideas. Don't worry though, I am zero competition. Again, this wedding set is fantastic.

Blacktop

You are a genius Blacktop....

ISO 80, 1/500th, F/2.8, 24-70 lens @52mm

Just a guess judging by how you froze the dress without any blurring. Plus I know you like to shoot wide open or close to it. Since I'm pretty sure yo also like to shoot at the lowest possible ISO I put 2 and 2 together. Now, if I was as skilled at actually taking a great shot as I am guessing shutter speeds, I'd be a pretty good photog.:)

STM

A superbly executed image. Veils can really improve an image but exposure can be tricky. You handled it very well here.