Negative Report On "Promaster" brand 2G SD Card

JohnFrench

About two weeks ago, I left home for a photo walk, and left behind my SD card. I had removed it from the camera to download the photos I had taken the week before, and left it sitting on the shelf. I said to myself, no problem, I'll just stop at the local camera shop near where I'll be and pick up one.
First, the price was double for a 2G SD card compared to Wal-Mart where I usually buy them ($9.99). I paid $29.99 for two, if I had bought one, it would have been $20.00. So I got the two pack. Yesterday, the SD card indicator light in the D3100 came on and would not go off, until I removed the battery. Today, after the first card got filled, I inserted the second new card, and the camera said it was damaged or missing, use a different card. After inserting it and removing it a number of times, the camera finally accepted it. I formatted it again, although I already had when I first bought them.
So, from now on, I will be only using the "approved" SD cards, namely San Disk., that Wal-Mart sells for $10.00. Just thought I would share this experience. I have 4 other digital cameras that use SD cards, I have San Disk brand SD cards in all of them, and have never had an issue.

fotojack

Yeah, Sandisk cards are great. I have a few of those. I also use Lexar Platinum II's. Mine are all Compact Flash, though. Still....ya can't beat the quality cards. You get what you pay for.

Kladz

I bought 2x A-DATA 8GB SD (class 10) card for shooting and occasional filming, I've actually met the same problem too. Sometimes after I load my images into the computer and then plug it back into the camera, it says that it's damaged or not supported. All I did was just plug it out then plug it back in and it works again.. So I never raised the problem up, I thought it's just probably reading error. You gave me a second thought on if it might be the SD card that's the problem.

JohnFrench

I put the two ProMaster 2G SD cards I bought "away", and switched over to my old standbys-SanDisk 2G cards. I have yet to have an issue with them. And they are readily available at the local Wallymart for 10USD each. 5 dollars cheaper per unit than I paid for the ProMaster cards at a local photo shop I thought I was helping to support. Live & learn, even at my age.