GRAPHIC: Why you should shoot in RAW

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
For visual learners, this should make the RAW versus JPG discussion clearer.

Original source: Why you should take photos in RAW | Pixiq

camera_raw_v4.png

Browncoat

Yup, that sums it up nicely.

In my opinion, there's really only one reason to shoot JPG in the digital era: Sports and journalism, where time-sensitive shots are needed.

fotojack

My personal opinion about shooting RAW: if you're making money with your pictures, such as a portrait photographer, wedding photographer, food, architecture, etc.,....anything along those lines, then yes, absolutely shoot RAW. For anything else....honestly.....it's just not necessary. Do your own experiment; mount your camera on a tripod. Take one shot in RAW, take another shot in jpg. See if you can see a difference. Straight out of the camera....no post processing. I'm betting you can't tell.

AxeMan - Rick S.

Take one shot in RAW, take another shot in jpg. See if you can see a difference. Straight out of the camera....no post processing. I'm betting you can't tell.

No post editing. RAW file was loaded into Lightroom, no adjustments made, then converted to JPG.

Image quality set on RAW and JPG fine on my D90 so both were shot at the same time and camera saved two files, shot in auto mode (just so everything was auto for this experiment)

I see a difference. Today's 365 was a RAW file. I found post processing took a little longer, but I was happier with the end result.

DSC_3849.jpg
DSC_3849-RAW.jpg
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

fotojack

My point is..to the untrained eye, both of these shots are good. If you hadn't labeled either one of them, no one would know which one was which. See what I mean, Rick? Visually, they're both appealing shots.

ThePhotoLegend

My point is..to the untrained eye, both of these shots are good.
Agreed. To the untrained eye both are acceptable. However, no owner with an slr/dslr in their hands should have an eye so untrained as to accept unprocessed raw and jpeg results as equal. A raw file is very much like a digital negative. The point of raw is the potential it offers in giving the photographer precise control over the final outcome of the photo. For point and shoot or trigger happy snappers this unprocessed result is fine and in fact, they might as well shoot jpeg as they are not going to bother with the creative post processing process. However for even moderately serious photographers, be it enthusiast or professional, raw files lend to so much more creative/accurate results. Its not simply about what you capture straight out of the camera but what you captured in your imagination at the time when utilizing the camera to capture the picture in the first place.

ohkphoto

Snow White
However for even moderately serious photographers, be it enthusiast or professional, raw files lend to so much more creative/accurate results. Its not simply about what you capture straight out of the camera but what you captured in your imagination at the time when utilizing the camera to capture the picture in the first place.
Absolutely. Why destroy pixels before you even get the photo out of the camera.I know our cameras are "smart", but I'd like to think I'm still smarter and can post process better than my camera.

Sambr

Not to shoot RAW - would be like leaving the house without my Iphone. Seriously I quit shooting JPEG a long time ago. I am not a pro - just shoot for fun, after discovering what I can do with NX2 & Photoshop Elements - there is no way I would shoot anything but RAW. Granted I have friends that don't want to do any Post, and they shoot JPEG and are happy with their photos.

FoxRacer2

The one thing I like about shooting RAW is you can change different white balances without affecting the picture. Theres nothing wrong with JPEG, I used to shoot that all the time until I actually realized what RAW was. Before i had no clue what it even meant.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
My personal opinion about shooting RAW: if you're making money with your pictures, such as a portrait photographer, wedding photographer, food, architecture, etc.,....anything along those lines, then yes, absolutely shoot RAW. For anything else....honestly.....it's just not necessary. Do your own experiment; mount your camera on a tripod. Take one shot in RAW, take another shot in jpg. See if you can see a difference. Straight out of the camera....no post processing. I'm betting you can't tell.

I respectfully have to disagree with you here. As post processing tools improve over time, why wouldn't you want to save your "negative"?

On a related topic, see this follow-up article titled "Can photos taken in JPEG be as good as photos taken in RAW?". Great discussion!!!

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Since data storage is always getting cheaper there really won't be an excuse to not shoot RAW. The only reason I didn't when I went on my trip to Europe is because I didn't have enough sd cards at the time, and I would have quickly ran out of space. After I got back I was wishing I would have shot everything in RAW because of the editing limitations. Photos that came out dark were not as easily lightened up.

Carolina Photo Guy

This entire discussion has ignored the fact that jpegs degrade every time they are opened.

The degradation is small but cumulative. If you have photos that you want to stay pristine, use raw.

Simple as that.

ohkphoto

Snow White
This entire discussion has ignored the fact that jpegs degrade every time they are opened.
I can attest to that first hand. I recently opened a jpeg (that I had exported from LR about a year ago) and discovered "destroyed pixels" --the picture was worthless.totally unusable and unfixable. Because I have my raw files (in duplicate), I simply re-exported the photo and had a nice clean copy.

I forgot to add that I had not even been opening that photo that much. I've also had this happen to jpeg's that I stored on a CD and never opened. About a year later, when I checked it, same thing, damaged pixels. For that reason I don't save jpeg's to a CD.

Last edited:

Patrick M

I'm sorry, but it's not right to say pictures degrade on a pc.....they can certainly degrade if they're stored on discs like CDs or DVDs simply because the material that medium is made of can degrade. That's true for any data, including pictures, and would affect RAW as well as JPEG similarly.

Data on a pc though is saved as binary values....and it doesn't matter whether that refers to numbers, words, pictures or whatever, it's simply not possible for pictures saved on a pc to degrade each time they're viewed.