Project 365: Anthony Hereld

Browncoat

Now that my internship is drawing to a close, I will have a lot more free time to work on personal projects. I feel a bit guilty starting this whole 365 thing here (8 months ago now!) on Nikonites and not participating in it myself. The keyword here is "personal". I plan on including a lot of conceptual and abstract work, as well as a lot of experimentation with lighting and techniques.

The fun begins Monday, August 1st.

Browncoat

20110801-HDR-Tractor.jpg

1/365: HDR Tractor II
I'm a sucker for old tractors because they look so cool in HDR.

Last edited:

Browncoat

HDR-Tank.jpg

2/365: HDR Tank
This bad boy is sitting out front of the local VFW hall. There was some serious Photoshop work involved here. I had to remove the buildings in the background along with the highway exit ramp and signs.

Browncoat

20110803-Flower-1.jpg

3/365: Rose of Sharon
This is the Hibiscus syriacus variety (yes, I had to look that up). We finally got some rain last night and today has been very overcast, so I decided to do an indoor studio shot. Nothing stellar by any means, though I'm happy that the water drops are reflecting the studio lights...it really adds something special.

No HDR today, just some fine tuning in Lightroom and a B&W conversion.

Browncoat

20110804-Hospital.jpg

4/365: Main Entrance
It's been a loooong time since I've done some night time HDR. Almost a year, I think. I woke up at 1:00am to get this shot of the local hospital. Night photography in itself is a challenge, but throwing HDR into the mix makes for some very long wait times between shutter presses.

pforsell

This is the Hibiscus syriacus variety (yes, I had to look that up). We finally got some rain last night and today has been very overcast, so I decided to do an indoor studio shot. Nothing stellar by any means, though I'm happy that the water drops are reflecting the studio lights...it really adds something special.

Usually b&w flower shots don't work for me, since flowers seem to lose too much of their allure. White lilies are an exception.

This image is well executed, the texture of the petals and especially the water drops make it an interesting shot. Lighting is top notch. The only minor thing I'd like to change is the direction the stamen (sp?) is tilted, it gives the impression the flower is looking away from the viewer. Yes, I know I am weird. Changing composition here would not have helped, since that would have meant the elimination of the leaves, which are more important to me than the direction of the stamen, and the "uneasy to me" stamen at least creates a tension or some dynamism that made me write this long paragraph in the first place.

Sorry for rant. A fine image.

Browncoat

Tilt-Shift.jpg

5/365: Tilt Shift
I've been wanting to play with this for awhile now. Tilt shift photography is where you take a scene and make it appear to look like a small model. The key is to get somewhat of an aerial view, as if you are looking down on a model.

You should give it a try in your own Project 365! I know I'll be doing more of these!

Last edited: