New D7000 Arrives Monday -- What lens?

nmjameswilson

Rick M

Unless you are unhappy with the 18-270, you already have the 18-105 territory covered. You may want to look into some primes relative to your shooting passion. The new Nikon 40mm 1.8 or the 35 1.8 would be a high quality low cost addition, or a wide angle zoom to cover below 18mm. It really depends on what you like to shoot. The more you tell us, the more we can help :).

nmjameswilson

Thank you for the reply. I am new to photography well at least photography done correctly and just thought there may be a better lens to compliment the D7000. I am taking college level photography classes in the fall and hope to move on to people at some point.

I will look at those lenses you mentioned and others in that range. I will add a wide angle for sure as that really helps while trying to get an entire super cell.

Thanks again.

Sgt Preston

the 35 1.8 is awesome, also the 70-300 4.5-5.6 works great im using it for lightening shots lightening2.JPG

Mestre

My brother-in-law has that Tamron and it is a good all-round lens with some macro capability. The 18-105 Nikon will not give you anything new.

I'd propose a ultra-wide (sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16) if you like to potograph landscape/architecture and a fixed 35mm 1.8 (good for indoor). If you like portraits maybe a 85mm 1.8 can also be an option.

buckre

I agree with the poster who suggested the 35mm 1.8. I have used a variety of mid level lenses (can't afford pro glass yet), but I purchased the 35 1.8 with the D7000 because of how reasonably priced it was and I love it! I've got the 50mm 1.8 as well as the 85 1.8 and the 35 is the one that stays on my camera the most. Whatever you choose, maybe try something that performs well in low light? With the D7000 and the 35 you can pretty much shoot in the dark.