Comparing older Nikon lens against newer generation lens

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just received my D7000 and Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII back from Nikon yesterday. I sent both units to Nikon in El Segundo CA to have the focus and calibration checked since I was suspecting an error or slight softness when using this combo. Both units were still under warranty. Anyway, Nikon claimed that they already checked the calibration, focusing mechanism, cleaned sensor and conducted a test shot in their lab. Good as new as far as I know.

So in order to verify this, I decided to walk-around to test it and decided to do a comparison with my old (used) Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai lens against the Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII @ 28mm.

I took a quick snap shots of a flower just to have a general idea. I was too lazy to bring a tripod so both were hand-held which makes my test comparison subjective. So here are a couple shots taken with both lenses. Please pardon the slight over exposure of the petals since I was more concern on the focus accuracy. You might also be able to tell the bokeh difference. The Nikkor 28mm lens renders a slight edge on the OOF area. The Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII gets my vote when it comes to contrast and sharpness based on these two images.

Nikkor 28mm f3.5 Ai @ f5.6, 1/200
Nikkor_28mm_ai_003.jpg

Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII @ 28mm with VRII "ON", 1/200
Nikon_16-35mm_002.jpg

See any difference?

So, due to my curiosity and unsatisfied results, I decided to test for sharpness indoor in a more controlled environment using a tripod this time. D7000 with 3 speed lights, mirror up in order to reduce mirror slap vibration. The focus point was on the face of the second angel to left of the clock.

Here are a couple of full image shots to compare the IQ of each lens at f5.6
Nikkor_28mm_f5_6_full.jpg

Nikon16-35mm_f5_6_full.jpg

Corner sharpness test only since both are really sharp at the center.
Nikkor_28mm_f5_6_crop.jpg

Nikon_16-35mm_f5_6_crop.jpg

Nikkor_28mm_f8_crop.jpg

Nikon_16-35mm_f8_crop.jpg

Summary: I know it's like comparing apples and oranges here but it verifies that my camera and lens are spot on with it's focus and that it is super sharp corner to corner stopped down at f7-f8. The Nikkor 28mm f3.5 is sharp and a good bargain lens that cost around $50 for a walk-around light set-up. The Nikon 16-35mm f4 VRII performed very will with it's better contrast, IQ, and sharpness. I guess this is why Nikon charges much higher with it's newer designed lenses. Is it really worth spending that much for a lens? That all depends with you. For a working pro, there is no question that you want absolute quality and performance since that's what gives food to the table.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for your test Glenn. I just got a 55 1.2 and 35 f2 both AIs yesterday. I have to say that my first impression is good. But they produce a different result than the more modern lenses. I have the 16-35 F4 VRII as well and it is a very good (not to say great lens), but the older ones have a little softness to them that adds a little magic touch to some shots. Note that I said "some". I don't think I'll use them for everything, but for portrait on DX, the 55 1.2 will be like great.

Thanks again for sharing.

Marcel

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Thanks for your test Glenn. I just got a 55 1.2 and 35 f2 both AIs yesterday. I have to say that my first impression is good. But they produce a different result than the more modern lenses. I have the 16-35 F4 VRII as well and it is a very good (not to say great lens), but the older ones have a little softness to them that adds a little magic touch to some shots. Note that I said "some". I don't think I'll use them for everything, but for portrait on DX, the 55 1.2 will be like great.

Thanks again for sharing.

Marcel

Thanks and congrats on your new toys Marcel. Please do share some of your test shots when you get the chance especially with the 55mm f1.2. I'm on the hunt for a 58mm f1.2 Noct lens.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've posted quite a few in my gallery yesterday or the day before. The Mustang, the musicians, the flowers etc. I was testing it as I was coming home with it.

Last edited: