Tokina AT-X 11-16mm PRO DX or PRO DX-II

Prefrosh01

As I continue to learn and explore this hobby I have come to the conclusion that I would like to add a UWA lens to my bag. After reading many of the posts and seeing the images that can be captured, I have decided to look for the Tokina AT-X 11-16mm PRO DX or DX-II.

My main body is a D7000, but my backup is a D3100. The original PRO DX would work fine on the 7000, but will not AF on the 3100.

I saw that you can get refurbished lenses from the manufacturer, but wasn't sure if that would be better than buying a used one.

Thank you for taking the time to look at my thread!

Take Care,
Matt

carguy

While I have an interest in this focal length and would like to add one to my bag as well, I'm following.

I can speak to the refurbished vs used question. I usually prefer the Manufactured refurbished item over used. Other factors may sway me such as how well I know the seller or the difference in price. My D7100 and 85mm 1.8G are Nikon refurbs, zero issues. Two of my other lenses are used, zero issues and the price was right.

Prefrosh01

Don & George - Thank you for the recommendations on going the refurb route. I found one on Craigslist, but it was only $20 cheaper than the refurbished version. I have been struggling with this all week. I would love to pull the trigger, but think I will just wait until they have a promotion on the refurbished ones.

Joe - Here is the link to the Kenko Depot where you can get the Tonkina refurbs:
https://kenkodepot.com/catalog/refurbished/brand/tokina

Prefrosh01

Going with the refurb route, I would have the option of the 11-16 or the newly released 11-20, both are available as refurbs. I have read the thread on here comparing these two lenses and some like the extended 4mm reach, but a majority still stay in the 11 - 12mm range anyway.

Which way would you go?

Elliot87

Pro DX II version £269 this weekend (only £10 discount on normal HDEW price but a tenners a tenner), should I pull the trigger? Only thing holding me back is I've just had to buy a new car this weekend as my old one is kaput. I hate that cars keep stealing my lens money.