Sports Photography Question -- D3 vs D750

cellman2010

I am needing more megapixels than my D3 is giving me, due to my cropping. I am shooting night football with a 400 2.8 lens.

Just looking at a chart, it appears the D750 would give me double the MP and better ISO, while only sacrificing 2.5 FPS. Am I missing something ? Or would this be a good trade up ?

Gordon

donaldjledet

Yea good logic, and less fps is ok. Cause if you know your sport in my opinion a couple less fps. won't matter.
You should still be able to get the peak action shot you are looking for.

Whiskeyman

From what i read and hear, the low light focus performance and improved high-ISO IQ of the D750 should really be a benefit as well.

WM

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,its been said if you can stand the loss of FPS then i think you will find the D750 a revelation,i have mine on CL and with a fast card shooting BIF i have never run out of shots,the most i have tried out of interest was 13 and it was still going.

Blacktop

I am needing more megapixels than my D3 is giving me, due to my cropping. I am shooting night football with a 400 2.8 lens.

Just looking at a chart, it appears the D750 would give me double the MP and better ISO, while only sacrificing 2.5 FPS. Am I missing something ? Or would this be a good trade up ?

Gordon

Not sure what sports you're shooting, but it all boils down to knowing the sport, so you can anticipate the action ahead of time ,therefore eliminating the need for machine gun style of shooting.

editorial_use_only

I have shot motorsports, news and fashion with a variety of bodies including the D3s and D750. I recently shot a race and wanted a crop-sensor body to partner with my telephoto, for just the reason you say: I found I was doing a lot of cropping with the full-frame body, and instead of longer glass wondered if the D7000 (at 6 fps) might work.

Losing those 3 fps was agony. It was the same when I shot a fashion event with a D750. Though I loved the AF in the new body, and the fabulous ISO performance, when I reviewed the photos I decided losing the fps wasn't worth it to me.

I think it's going to be up to you to decide what you want or value most based on your style. For what it's worth, I see one of the guys from Getty using the 5DIII, and that's 6 fps. His stuff goes into Vogue and WWD so he doesn't miss the fps. He also shoots with just the 100-400, working f/8 at 5000 and up. I carry a bag full of primes, and shoot f/2 or wide open, standing right next to him. My point is I think you will have to decide for yourself what works for you. And I still see pros with the D300s at the track, for example, though high ISO performance is obviously rarely an issue for that sport, and instead it's the native floor that's more an issue.

If you're finding that you're cropping a lot with the 400, just as an alternative, have you considered a teleconverter? I realize you may not want to give up a stop for night games, but it could be worth a try. If you're happy with the D3 otherwise (and I love my D3s), a TC14 might be worth a try.

Gordon

hrstrat57

For the action I like to shoot I would prefer a used D4 to a new D750.

I would love to own a D750 for general walk around shooting but it sounds like you will be asking it to perform primarily outside of what it is designed to do.

IMHO a recipe for disappointment...

welcome to nikonites!