Pratt Gin Company

The Pratt Gin Company was what the town I live in was built around. Daniel Pratt moved to the area around 1830 and began building his industry. The Present factory was built around 1850 and they were still producing cotton gins until about 15 years ago in the same buildings. I sneaked into the building in June of last year and got some pretty good photos. https://www.facebook.com/dkuykendall/media_set?set=a.10204543585618205.1490357588&type=3 The building was locked up and no one was allowed to get in for any reason. Several groups were trying to buy the building to tear it down for the brick and old timbers that were in it but were blocked by historical groups in the town here. It was finally auctioned off and plans are underway to do something with it. No official word on what that something is but it does not involve tearing it down.

Now to why I am posting this. I have been on a mission to do a full photographic story on the building and its restoration. With plans to do a photo book in the end. This week I finally got the approval to do just that. I have unfettered access to all the properties anytime I want. I was actually given keys to the buildings. I will be posting photos here as I get them.

One side project I have gotten myself into is figuring out what do do with 10s of 1,000s of original mechanical drawings that are everywhere. That is a big deal now in certain areas as wall art. So if anyone has any ideas on that front please let me know.

Might as well use this as a photo thread. Was checking to make sure the keys worked and to show the wife the gin demo building so I got a few quick photos. It was pretty dark but I did get a few.

10-01-15_0002-edit.jpg

10-01-15_0001-edit.jpg

And this one is a 2/3 working model that they used for demonstrating the gin to customers.
10-01-15_0003-edit.jpg