What settings are you using for sharpness & clarity under set picture control ??

iceman55

Just curious...I haven't really changed those settings yet but one article I read said the author uses +5 on sharpness & +1 on clarity. I feel some of my pictures have been soft even after paying attention to ISO, speed, Apeture etc. Some of the pictures were even taken on a tripod with a cable release. Ive been using my 24-120mm F4

FB_IMG_1443432686746.jpg

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Re: What settings are you using for sharpness & clarity under set picture control ??

Are you shooting raw or jpeg,in jpeg you would set those things in the camera raw you would do it in PP.

Horoscope Fish

Re: What settings are you using for sharpness & clarity under set picture control ??

Shooting in Jpeg...
I've always suggested using +7 for Sharpening and sometimes +1 to Saturation but you kind of need to just try those settings and see what you think.

Do you have any other lenses besides the 24-120mm f/4 you could try on your D750? I know a lot of people love that lens, and swear by it, but I've never really cared for it myself and know people who swear AT it.

iceman55

I have the basic,35mm, 50mm & 85mm 1.8's plus the 70-300mm zoom but never bring them with me.I always seem to use the 24-120mm. Maybe I will do some side by side comparisons.

Horoscope Fish

I have the basic,35mm, 50mm & 85mm 1.8's plus the 70-300mm zoom but never bring them with me.I always seem to use the 24-120mm. Maybe I will do some side by side comparisons.
Put the 85mm on there for a day and compare shots against the 24-120mm.

Are you shooting a D750 or a D7000? Your profile lists the D7000 only. Also if you are shooting a D750 why would you be shooting in JPEG?

I've always suggested using +7 for Sharpening and sometimes +1 to Saturation but you kind of need to just try those settings and see what you think.

Do you have any other lenses besides the 24-120mm f/4 you could try on your D750? I know a lot of people love that lens, and swear by it, but I've never really cared for it myself and know people who swear AT it.
I love my 24-120 on the D7100

iceman55

Are you shooting a D750 or a D7000? Your profile lists the D7000 only. Also if you are shooting a D750 why would you be shooting in JPEG?

Im shooting with the D750...Sold my D7000 & D7100 some time ago...Never tried raw always jpeg...

Blacktop

Im shooting with the D750...Sold my D7000 & D7100 some time ago...Never tried raw always jpeg...
Not that it's any of my business, but you're wasting the D750's high DR cabability by shooting jpegs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Horoscope Fish

Not that it's any of my business, but you're wasting the D750's high DR capability by shooting jpegs.
I'd go so far as to say you're castrating that D750. But, as Pete points out, far from any of my business how you shoot.

iceman55

Not that it's any of my business, but you're wasting the D750's high DR cabability by shooting jpegs.

Ive kinda looked into the basics of RAW so I may try it soon. Just not sure of all the post processing work...I like quick & easy...Is that possible ?? Best program to use....LR or PS ??

Horoscope Fish

Ive kinda looked into the basics of RAW so I may try it soon. Just not sure of all the post processing work...I like quick & easy...Is that possible ?? Best program to use....LR or PS ??
I think this is One of Those Things... You have to decide what your level of involvement is going to be with this whole "photography thing" and learning to shoot in RAW, and especially how to perform the required post-processing, definitely means taking on learning a new skill-set. The payoff is the degree of control you can exercise when working with a RAW file.

RAW files, in comparison to JPG's, contain an enormous of data that is forever thrown away when compressed to JPG. As I'm fond of saying, image files are like cookies...

An image, saved as a .jpg, is Nikon's fully baked cookie handed to you on a platter. It's handed to you ready to eat and composed of those ingredients that Nikon thinks a cookie should have based on the information presented to it at the time. These cookies, generally speaking, are pretty darn tasty too. Sometimes the flavor is a bit off, sometimes it can be way off, but that's too bad because Nikon baked the cookie and handed you the finished product. If it's missing all the chocolate chips YOU think should be there, tough noogies. You also have no idea, really, what went into the cookie because all that information was thrown away, so making changes to any particular cookie, while not impossible, is awkward and limited. Still, most of time, you get a pretty acceptable product when you go this route.

An image, saved as a RAW file, is the dough for making Nikon cookies. All the information about how to make it into a proper cookie is there and all the information you could want about the ingredients themselves has been preserved for you. Further, you also have all the basic ingredients that went into making this dough so if you want to modify the dough before baking you can. In short, with a RAW file you have everything you need and all the information possible to modify your cookies as much or as little as you want. Yes, it's more work to go this route but you wind up getting the EXACT cookie you want EVERY time. Your dough can be pretty whack and even that's okay because you have SOOO much more workable latitude because even the information about the ingredients that went into your cookie dough has been preserved and can be tinkered with. Taking this route you can get the exact cookie you want every single time. It's also why your .jpg files look better, generally, out of the box than your RAW files, do. It's a question of who is in control of your cookies.

Your RAW files are just that, raw... They're waiting for you to come along and tweak them to perfection. I went this route because at some point I decided I was tired of simply taking what Nikon thinks is best. I wanted to be known, not as the guy with a great camera, but rather as the guy that consistently "Nails the Shot" and gets the oooo's and ahhh's. I got tired of hearing "Oh, nice picture". I wanted to hear what I call the "Spontaneous 'Wow!'"

The downside (if you want to call it that), as mentioned previously, is that it takes time, and a certain degree of commitment, to learn how to process RAW files into great photos.

iceman55

Thanks for the detailed response Paul...I really do appreciate it. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 as a stand alone program, not really sure if this will work. Most of the time I just make some quick adjustments and move on. I guess if RAW will bring my photography the next level then I must try something.

Horoscope Fish

Thanks for the detailed response Paul...I really do appreciate it. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 as a stand alone program, not really sure if this will work. Most of the time I just make some quick adjustments and move on. I guess if RAW will bring my photography the next level then I must try something.
I would say Photoshop Elements (hereinafter: PSE) is a very good jumping off point for someone just getting their feet wet with processing RAW files. PSE borrows heavily from both Photoshop and Lightroom while using a relatively simple interface. The downside is that while PSE *will* work with your RAW files, it doesn't have the same "muscle" as either of its big brothers, LR or PS. That being said, I'd rather have RAW files to work on using PSE as my starting point, than I would Photoshop and a JPG. Elements will also introduce to (a stripped down version of) Adobe Camera RAW; a powerful editing tool in its own right.

A pretty thorough (yet step-by-step) tutorial for processing a RAW file using PSE can be found here: How to Process RAW Files the Right Way in PSE

I'd go so far as to say you're castrating that D750. But, as Pete points out, far from any of my business how you shoot.

Got to agree with the others. shooting in JPEG is a big waste of a D750. Whatever program you have (PSE) get started with in now. The main thing you want to make sure of is to adjust the sharpness in post processing.
When you get your feet wet a little more then more up to Lightroom and unlock the true power of your camera.

TieuNgao

I use Capture NX-D (free software from Nikon) to edit my raw files, usually just the basic things as sharpness, clarity, contrast, brightness, and saturation (besides distortion and vignetting always turned on). I find that the best values for those parameters are different depending on each photo. Therefore I doubt that you find a perfect setting for all your photos if you only shoot in jpg, iceman55.
You may think that's a tedious work, but I think it's fun and creative to try to make each photo look better. I dare say that it's more fun than taking pictures because you have all the time you want to experiment different things. During the editing process I also learn from the mistakes I've made in taking pictures, and that's the real bonus.

iceman55

I use Capture NX-D (free software from Nikon) to edit my raw files, usually just the basic things as sharpness, clarity, contrast, brightness, and saturation (besides distortion and vignetting always turned on). I find that the best values for those parameters are different depending on each photo. Therefore I doubt that you find a perfect setting for all your photos if you only shoot in jpg, iceman55.
You may think that's a tedious work, but I think it's fun and creative to try to make each photo look better. I dare say that it's more fun than taking pictures because you have all the time you want to experiment different things. During the editing process I also learn from the mistakes I've made in taking pictures, and that's the real bonus.

Very good points...Thanks TieuNgao...

Ad B

Hi

there's a lot of talking about jpeg's, RAW and so on...
But topic starter "Iceman55" just asked for your settings sharpness & clarity under set picture control.
Which only "Horoscope Fish" gave us.
These setting won't affect your RAW images, so you don't have to discuss about RAW...

Most of the time, I shoot with my 24-120 lens. Sharpness 3, local contrast +1, contrast +1.
(I shoot RAW + JPEG, so I always can use the RAW files wenn needed.)
Discussions about why or why not using RAW is better to do in a separate topic... (I think...)

Ad B

iceman55

Hi

there's a lot of talking about jpeg's, RAW and so on...
But topic starter "Iceman55" just asked for your settings sharpness & clarity under set picture control.
Which only "Horoscope Fish" gave us.
These setting won't affect your RAW images, so you don't have to discuss about RAW...

Most of the time, I shoot with my 24-120 lens. Sharpness 3, local contrast +1, contrast +1.
(I shoot RAW + JPEG, so I always can use the RAW files wenn needed.)
Discussions about why or why not using RAW is better to do in a separate topic... (I think...)

Ad B

Thanks Ad B...And RAW vs Jpeg is def a separate topic...