The "Blood Moon"

STM

I sat on a camp stool for about an hour waiting for just the right moment to trip the shutter! The weather was absolutely perfect, for a once in a lifetime image!

Blood Moon.jpg

Rebecca Belknap

I tried but only got a blurry image. I used a lot of different settings but always got the "not enough light" problem. However, did not use a tripod as recommended. I think I learned something from the experience but not much to show for it.

paul04

I tried but only got a blurry image. I used a lot of different settings but always got the "not enough light" problem. However, did not use a tripod as recommended. I think I learned something from the experience but not much to show for it.

We've all made mistakes, it's just a learning curve.

I remember my 1st attempt at taking a picture of the moon, it was just a white ball in the sky. Keep practising and look at the camera setting's others have used.

Felisek

I sat on a camp stool for about an hour waiting for just the right moment to trip the shutter! The weather was absolutely perfect, for a once in a lifetime image!

View attachment 181145

Sorry mate, but this is not tonight's lunar eclipse. Your picture was taken a few days before the full moon. You can clearly see craters and shadows on the surface. You can also see the clear terminator line, unlike in the real eclipse pictures below.

It is a great picture, though!

Mike150

I'm very disappointed. I had been planning for two weeks to drive up on the mountain and stay overnight. Even cleared the location and everything with the park rangers.
Alas... It's been raining nonstop for the last three days and no hint of letting up. As a result, I stayed home and kept dry.

adot45

I'm very disappointed. I had been planning for two weeks to drive up on the mountain and stay overnight. Even cleared the location and everything with the park rangers.
Alas... It's been raining nonstop for the last three days and no hint of letting up. As a result, I stayed home and kept dry.

I feel your pain Mike.....practiced for several nights with different camera, lenses and then deciding on the right combo started working on the correct exposure(s) had that pretty much nailed down and then when the big night finally came....rained out. :dispirited:

nickt

Lots of clouds, but luckily, lots of openings too right up until nearly peak. Then it completely clouded over. This was one of the first few actual uses of my sigma 150-600, so low on experience with that. I'm low on moon experience too. I was totally surprised when the moon got dark. I thought I would just be slowing down the shutter as needed. Apparently the moon moves quickly and 2 seconds is too long to get a sharp shot. I ended up with iso 1600, 1.3 seconds and I tried the new PS shake reduction filter.

D71_4919-Edit.jpg

D71_4942-Edit.jpg

D71_4971-Edit.jpg

D71_5038-Edit-3.jpg