suggest a lens, or two!

jtkpenguin

Hi guy, i've now had my lovely d3100 for a few months & I'm slowly getting to grips with it, exploring different settings etc, suffice to say i've fallen deeply in love with it...

I've saved up just over €300 to spend & am now looking for suggestions on the best one (or two) lens to go for...

I'm mainly taking photos of the following:
my cat & other domestic animals around the farm
wildlife in & around my house & garden (typically birds feeding on a feeder at the bottom of the garden which i can't get close enough to)
countryside & landscapes (we drive out somewhere different every few wks)
country houses & gardens (there's loads around where we live!)
family/friends & their kids (not often, but occasionally now I've a great camera I'm called into duty!)

I've read other posts about the 55-300mm but before i spend all my money on that, is there a better one? like the 28-300mm or is it 70-300mm? or is there a combination that you would suggest?

Thanks in advance for any help & advice.
Tina

silvertip

I am going to assume that you have the kit lens (18-55) on your camera now. That is a very good lens. along with that I would suggest the 70-300. I have the 70-300 and also a 80-200 f2.8. For travel and general photography I use the 70-300 for a couple of reasons 1) light weight and 2) longer reach. The disadvantage to the 70-300 is the slow aperture f4-5.6.

jtkpenguin

Silvertip, thanks a mill for your very helpful reply, yes I do indeed have the kit lens attached & find it excellent...

Am I right in thinking the 70-300mm is a sigma & not nikon? I've been told it's better to stick to 'all' nikon gear, but not too sure myself & would welcome any comments.

Would the 55-300mm be a better buy or should I go for the 70-300mm? :confused:

Thanks again for any advice..
Tina

nightWolf

Can i throw a prime into the equation.
My first lens that i bought a few months ago was a 35mm 1.8. Amazing little lens, sharp as a tac.
This would be great for your friends/family shots, and also outdoors.
The newer 50mm 1.8 might also be an option, but i find it too tight indoors.

Since u said "a lens, or two", go for a zoom and a prime - if it's in your budget.
I'm new to this game, so maybe some of the seniors can advise.

jtkpenguin

I've read other threads in the lens forum on this topic & now I'm sorely torn between the 70-300mm & the 55-300mm, love the suggestion of a prime lens too but don't think I can quite stretch to it just at the moment, i suppose i was being a bit hopefull... but i'd rather get one utterly excellent lens now & then in the next 6-12mths save up & get a really good prime one, one thing at a time... I've no other equipment, but can't really see myself using a tripod in the future... other things maybe...

jtkpenguin

almost decided, after reading other posts in the 'lens' forum, to go with the 70-300mm so I'm now looking for the cheapest place to buy it online, found this link on amazon, what do you think, guys?

fotojack

An excellent choice. You will thoroughly enjoy this lens when you get it. Keep us posted. :) ps: don't forget to get a UV lens filter for it!

Curt

Well the D3100 is a really light feeling camera body,seeing you already have the 18-55mm. I would suggest the 55-200 VR it's light ( good balance for your D3100)'it doesn't cost to much but is a really good lens. I think this is a lens well worth looking at.

tommvca

In addition to the 18-55 VR lens that came with the camera I purchased and recommend two other lenses:
1- Nikon 55-200 VR that I ordered through Adorama (New York) as a Nikon USA Refurbished for $160 US. Extraordinary sharpness, great colors and light weight. For me the extra zoom of he 55-300 was not worth the extra weight of the lens. The refurbished lenses are recalibrated at Nikon ensuring you receive an excellent copy.
2- Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime lens for very low light, portraits, when I don’t need zoom beyond walking distance and even for video. Great value at $200 US offering excellent sharpness and great colors.

With the 18-55 VR kit lens plus the 55-200 and 35 prime the only additional thing I may need would be a flash.

Will V|Photography

I got my D3100 with the 18-55 kit lens but it also came with the 55-200. I've owned the camera almost one month and still have yet to use the 55-200. My first lens-only purchase is probably going to be the 35 1.8 :\

Kladz

I've tested the 70-300mm AF-S 4.5-5.6 for a week during my trip to Mexico. I must say it is a very good lens. Pictures out from the 200-300 end gives out very sharp image for it's price (It's around $470 in Canada). It also has good Bokeh (If used on the highest F-stop).

If I had the choice of getting 18-55 (I bought mine body-only) and a 70-300 or the 18-105 that I have now (Sold seperatly for around $350), I'd pay that little more for those both lens than my soft-edged 18-105, not that my current lens is bad.

Rick M

I got my D3100 with the 18-55 kit lens but it also came with the 55-200. I've owned the camera almost one month and still have yet to use the 55-200. My first lens-only purchase is probably going to be the 35 1.8 :\

I too got the 55-200 with my D3100 and have only used it once in 8 Months. Iv'e found my interests more on the wide end. My 2nd lens purchase was the 35mm 1.8, for $200 it has to be the best lens for the $, extremely sharp and versitile. From there I got a 16-85, replacing my 18-55 as my general purpose lens. The 16-85 is extremely sharp, excellent glass.