Noise in my photos

Pixl212

I've had my D3200 for almost a year. This was an upgrade from my D40X. I never had noise in my photos with the D40X but the D3200 ALWAYS gives me noise and grain - regardless of my settings. Has anyone else had this problem? So far, the D3200 has been a bit disappointing.

Horoscope Fish

I've had my D3200 for almost a year. This was an upgrade from my D40X. I never had noise in my photos with the D40X but the D3200 ALWAYS gives me noise and grain - regardless of my settings. Has anyone else had this problem? So far, the D3200 has been a bit disappointing.
Can you upload (not host) some example photos you think are particularly noisy?

Pixl212

The original was too big to upload so I reduced the dimensions but not the DPI.

pix1964.jpg

Pretzel

The original was too big to upload so I reduced the dimensions but not the DPI.

View attachment 180585

ISO 6400 - hello noise, if by nothing else than default.

I have taken many a photo with the predecessor to your camera, the D3100, with no noise issues at all, but never at ISO 6400. Any other samples with an ISO under 800, perhaps?

BTW, not intended to be snarky at all, so if it comes across as flat... blame it on my job, as they're slowly eating my soul. Welcome to the forums! We'll help as much as we can.

paul04

I don't think even if the camera was set to auto, it would use those settings!

You really need to bring down that iso, open the aperture to get more light in, set Exposure Compensation to 0, and slow down the shutter speed

WayneF

I don't think even if the camera was set to auto, it would use those settings!

You really need to bring down that iso, open the aperture to get more light in, set Exposure Compensation to 0, and slow down the shutter speed

I fully agree, but if Auto ISO (but Not camera Auto mode), and if the Auto ISO menu said Minimum Shutter Speed was 1/2000 second, then it might do exactly that :) It is a possible choice, but surely not a wise or thinkable choice.

I don't see how it was said 1/2000 at ISO 6400, but these are pencils in a cup, and there is no motion to need 1/2000. Thinking Auto would not have done that, if it were camera manual mode M (?), the +5 compensation had no effect.

So this picture needed to put the camera on a tripod to steady it, and use ISO 100 at f/16 at perhaps 1/8 or 1 second shutter speed. Whatever shutter speed it needed. Camera A mode.

Last edited:

Pixl212

You are absolutely correct…it was a settings issue. I went back and found where the ISO was being set at 1600 - and then went out and shot. The pix now look like they should! And I feel like an idiot. Thanks for helping me love my camera.

Pixl212

Again, thank you to all who weighed in. I'm new here and you guys really have the knowledge and ability to communicate. The issue was in the ISO sensitivity settings…I had the maximum sensitivity set to 1600. I brought that down to 200 and brought the exposure compensation to zero (not really sure how that was set to +5). Thank you all for restoring my faith in my camera!

Moab Man

We have moments, but I'm sure you'll never make this mistake again. I did it once where I was shooting the Milky Way the night before at ISO 3200 and couldn't figure out why on the Bonneville Salt Flats, which are really bright, but I was at 1/8000 of a shutter speed. DOH! Never did that again.

Horoscope Fish

You are absolutely correct…it was a settings issue. I went back and found where the ISO was being set at 1600 - and then went out and shot. The pix now look like they should! And I feel like an idiot. Thanks for helping me love my camera.
Gotta love an easy solution!