Settings seem to be changing on their own

okulo

I've only had my D5500 for a couple of weeks, so I am aware that I may be making a few errors here and there but I am getting a bit frustrated at settings seeming to change on their own.

I could put some down to me experimenting but one instance in particular has me scratching my head.

Firstly, I should point out that I rarely leave the touch screen facing outwards, so I doubt I have inadvertently changed anything by touching it by accident.

Anyway, I was taking some photos in a wooded area near where I live (in Aperture Priority mode as I had been advised in another thread to test my camera's autofocus) and when I stopped to look at what I had taken was perplexed to find that they were all very yellow. I looked at the White Balance and it was set to Flash. The second thing to point out is that I never use a flash. I deployed it once when I first got the D5500 just to check it was working but since then, the White balance has been set on Auto.

I have forgotten what the other mystery changes were because they did not seem significant but with my aversion to flash, this has stuck in my mind.

okulo

Thanks for the reply.

No, I am trying to avoid doing that as I have made quite a few personalisations which I don't want to have to go through again but it may well come to that.

okulo

Just a quick question, does each mode have its own settings? I know that some modes revert to Auto but if I set, say, ISO to 400 in Aperture priority, is it supposed to persist at that setting in Programme mode or Shutter priority?

WayneF

Just a quick question, does each mode have its own settings? I know that some modes revert to Auto but if I set, say, ISO to 400 in Aperture priority, is it supposed to persist at that setting in Programme mode or Shutter priority?

Camera Auto mode will be Auto ISO and Auto White Balance, and then ISO and WB might be anything (as determined appropriate).

If in A, S, P, or M mode, and Auto ISO and Auto WB are OFF, then they should stay at whatever you set.

Flash WB and Daylight WB are very close, hardly any difference you would ever notice. A wooded scene suggests shade, which is more blue than Daylight, so the image might appear yellowish.

But if the camera setting said Flash, then you must have accidentally changed it to Flash. No form of Auto WB will say "Flash".

okulo

I think that was the problem. I rarely used the touch screen and it didn't happen too often. I use it even less often now since realising.

Incidentally, I was lured into a false sense of security by there supposedly being protection from this afforded by a proximity sensor near the viewfinder which disables the Info screen (I started another thread about this). However, it only disables the Info screen - not the Menu screen or the Settings screen. I contacted Nikon about this because it seems ludicrous to disable the one screen which has very limited touch control (just one or two points, depending on the camera's mode) whilst keeping the Menu and Settings screens active which are almost entirely covered in touch control points.

I was told that a fix would be proposed for firmware implementation but whether it will be remains to be seen.