Folder and file management

voxmagna

I shoot RAW+JPEG and Movie. This might be a wish list question but I would like the D750 to save each file type into a different folder name. When it comes to transferring files from the card, I have to rely on Windows file type ordering to distinguish all three file types saved in the same folder. I see there are options to view different folders and to create folders with a number, but I cannot see a way for the D750 to save each file type to different folders. I could save RAW and Movie to the second card, but it still isn't the best solution.

Have I missed something or is this a wish list question? Thanks

aroy

I just download the files from the camera to a temporary folder, then use a script to rename the files. After that
. RAW files go into a date based location - Root = year, next level = month, last level = full date
. I do not shoot JPEG, but if I did I would use the same structure
. For movies, I just dump them into one Movie folder, as I shoot them once in while, but you could use the same file structure as the RAW

If you want more advanced cataloging, I think that Lightroom will be ideal.

voxmagna

Thanks, I was really interested to know if the camera can save to created folders. When I shoot Movie, the D750 attaches a similar file sequence number as the stills in the same folder and it seems a pain to search for just the Movie sequences and preview them. I can handle the file management and sorting on a pc afterwards, but when I am on the road with a card with mixed RAW,JPEG and Movie files I want to access them easily. I know there are options to write out to a second card, but then it limits the use of the second card. When I scroll through the stored file preview, it is too easy to miss the movie flag on the first still frame. I thought I might have a choice option to preview each of the three file formats. Since my HD .mov files are heavy on card storage, I need to carefully manage what is shot and stored.

aroy

If possible, store the Movie files exclusively on the second card, and RAW+jpeg on the first. Carry a lot of spare cards if you are heavily into movies. Movies need not use the highest speed cards. Just check the writing speed, I guess 45 MBPS would be sufficient for 60P HD. Those cards are relative inexpensive. Here in India a 32GB 45 MBPS Sandisk is around $20
Amazon.in: Buy Sandisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I 32GB Class 10 Memory Card Online at Low Prices in India | SanDisk Reviews & Ratings
So you can carry quite a few of them, rather than bothering about capacity while shooting.

By the way, why do you shoot jpeg? Unless you have to upload the files as soon as possible, you can always generate jpeg from RAW in batch mode from Nikon View NX or any other RAW software. That can save some space.

Last edited:

Fred Kingston

To answer your specific question, the answer is No, you cannot designate folder by file type in camera.

Your best option for cataloguing is Lightroom

voxmagna

Thanks for your replies.
By the way, why do you shoot jpeg?

Because when I am travelling it is the fastest way to show photos or get some quick prints done on the move in the supermarkets. I don't always carry a PC to process RAW and JPEG is still the quickest best universal format to pass photos to a friend or email. Transferring 200 RAW photo files from a Sandisk Extreme Pro card takes a long time even via USB3. The smaller JPEGS take no more than 30 seconds. But I always save RAW files, to process later on the PC.

At the moment I have 2 X 64 Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro cards @ 95Mb/s which is plenty. Copying the larger RAW files across to HDD takes the time. I have learned that fast cards are not just for multi shots, but enable large RAW and MOV files to be transferred faster off the card. I test all my cards for speed. There are plenty of fake cards out there with very poor read/write transfer speeds. Unfortunately, these can give cameras a bad name when users think they have fast cards but they are not. It is not about the interface either. A fast USB3 card reader is no good if the card is slow and running multi-shot tests with the D750 soon tells you if the card is good enough.

aroy

Thanks for your replies.

Because when I am travelling it is the fastest way to show photos or get some quick prints done on the move in the supermarkets. I don't always carry a PC to process RAW and JPEG is still the quickest best universal format to pass photos to a friend or email. Transferring 200 RAW photo files from a Sandisk Extreme Pro card takes a long time even via USB3. The smaller JPEGS take no more than 30 seconds. But I always save RAW files, to process later on the PC.

At the moment I have 2 X 64 Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro cards @ 95Mb/s which is plenty. Copying the larger RAW files across to HDD takes the time. I have learned that fast cards are not just for multi shots, but enable large RAW and MOV files to be transferred faster off the card. I test all my cards for speed. There are plenty of fake cards out there with very poor read/write transfer speeds. Unfortunately, these can give cameras a bad name when users think they have fast cards but they are not. It is not about the interface either. A fast USB3 card reader is no good if the card is slow and running multi-shot tests with the D750 soon tells you if the card is good enough.

Fine, that clears up the reason for jpeg. That means that until you can solve the problem of categorizing in the camera, you need to depend on multiple cards. I would suggest that apart from the 2 x 64GB 95 Mb/s cards, have a few 32GB, 45/60 Mb/s cards for storing videos.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
To separate jpegs from raws, the best way is to setup your D750 so raw files are saved on card 1 and jpegs on card 2.