iPad Photography App. suggestions needed

Nikonite1222

Hi There-

First,,I'm not sure if I put this in the right area, but because it IS photography related and it has to do with a kind of Computer, I felt that this was o.k..

So ,,anyway,, I got my first iPad tonight and now want to know if there are any of you fine folks who not only have an iPad, but what are some great photography iPad app's for it and even some not so good ones that you have came across.

Again,,I'm sorry if this is not in the right place, but I had to make an executive decision here (LOL) :cool:

Thanks for your time.

- Douglas

Last edited by a moderator:

Curt

I have an iPad and I downloaded the app for the D200. It's great... you don't need to carry your manual around..lol. It is well worth checking out. Go to the app store, type in Nikon,and bang. Enjoy. Lots to choose from.

Sgt Preston

you need the camera connection kit from Apple so you can directly download your pics from your card to your ipad. other apps photopad, crop suey HD, iwatermark, oneEdit,Resize Photo, nikon L&E (learn and explore) ibooks: Nikon D7000 experience, the Still Photographer's guide.

Browncoat

...you need the camera connection kit from Apple so you can directly download your pics from your card to your ipad...

Typically, you couldn't give me anything from Apple. But while at a recent shoot, another photog was viewing recently taken photos using his iPad and I have to admit, it was pretty awesome. Sure beats lugging around a laptop for the same purpose.

The same guy keeps his photo portfolio on his iPad, in addition to some promotion videos and such for his business. Very cool stuff to show potential clients. Personally, I can't justify the hefty price tag.

Browncoat

I just call em like I see em, man. Like all other Apple stuff, there's no denying that the iPad is cool. Its overall usefulness and the outrageous price tag also make it like all other Apple products.

;)

fotojack

I just call em like I see em, man. Like all other Apple stuff, there's no denying that the iPad is cool. Its overall usefulness and the outrageous price tag also make it like all other Apple products.

;)

Yup.......totally agree, Anthony. It's the outrageous price tag that keeps me from even thinking about getting one.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod

Yup.......totally agree, Anthony. It's the outrageous price tag that keeps me from even thinking about getting one.

At first blush Apple products do seem more expensive. Since I use both Mac and PC products, let me make a comparison for you to consider. I have a MacBook that I use for most of my home (e.g. photography) activities. I purchased a refurbed model (2.4 GHz Dual Core 2 Duo) for around US$800. It just went out of 3 year warranty and is going strong. On one of my trips I over-packed a backpack bringing gifts home and chipped the keyboard. Took it to the Apple store and it was replaced in 20 minutes at no cost.

I'm a business consultant. Because I want to keep my business activities separated for tax purposes, I purchased a refurbed ThinkPad X201 (i5 processor). The cost of that machine was almost US$900. The titanium case and docking station are awesome. I've used this machine on 3 continents, every day without fail.

My point in this comment is that on business class equipment that you can rely on - not the $300-$400 consumer crap - prices are pretty comparable between Apple and first tier PC vendors. Throw in the reasonable warranty costs and ease of repair on Apple products and the argument gets fuzzier. Honestly, if I could run Mac OS X on my ThinkPad (with Office 2010) my computing experience would be perfect.

Browncoat

Apple is, and always has been, a top-notch product. I have never denied that. However, the world runs on IBM. Period. It has been Apple's manifesto from its founding to be anti-establishment, and that's fine. Normally, I would gravitate towards such a product because I'm about as anti-establishment as they come.

Where Apple fails is its exclusivity. It doesn't play well with others. Its development platform, even today, is very closed off. They got burned by Bill Gates and Microsoft in the 1980's and Steve Jobs being the megalomaniac that he is, decided to shut and lock all the doors. Apple has shunned open source development and taken a pass on cross-platform initiatives like Adobe Flash because they think they can do it better than everyone else.

Ultimately, you're paying a premium to be part of Apple's exclusive club. It's not about the product, it's about the lifestyle...it's about the privilege of owning an Apple product. I don't buy into that.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm going to have to disagree with you on a couple points. In my interactions with corporate customers, more and more I'm seeing Mac's. Especially with customers moving to web or cloud based apps, the platform just doesn't matter. The world no longer runs on IBM. Period. Tools like the iPad and iPhone are accelerating the migration. Look at the declining revenue from Microsoft Windows and the trend becomes apparent. Steve and Bill aren't the issue. People want tools that work. In companies that I'm in where employees are given the choice of platform, I see a majority (unscientific observation based) of people choose a Mac platform. One CEO I talked to admitted that he needed to offer a choice so that he could attract top young talent. I got a Mac so I could understand the attraction and broaden my skills. It is the same reason why I started using Windows instead of DOS, PC's instead of Mainframe, etc. Just as the iPad has certain capabilities, I think the correct approach is to choose the right "PC" based on the task at hand.

Browncoat

The world no longer runs on IBM. Period.

It kind of does. Since the iInvasion (iPod/iPhone/iPad), Apple has a firm grip on the smartphone and doodad market, but they are still very much in the extreme minority when it comes to computers.

operating_system_market_share.jpg

operating_system_versions_market_share.jpg

Most Mac users are creatives and techie start-ups (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). They're far more likely to be found at the local Starbucks sipping on a latte and wearing designer jeans with sandles. The old stereotype still holds true:

preview.jpg

Yes, the iGeneration or "young talent" has to be offered the option...but in most cases, those Macs are still running Windows.

Browncoat

If we could settle the Mac vs. PC debate, I truly believe the world would implode on itself and all life as we know it would be snuffed out.

theregsy

Lets face it the PC/Mac war will rumble on for as long as Microsoft and Apple are in existence, as will the Nikon Canon argument. I can find all the software I need on the Windows platform, I use android for my mobile needs, as windows mobile is tat and anything with an i in front of it is overpriced, looking with interest at the Kindle Fire at the moment, but lets face it Apple does a great job in a niche high end market, Microsoft as ever is available on everything from mobile phones to tablets to cheap netbooks to high end pro desktops and laptops. Windows still rules the roost in terms of market share by a huge margin, Windows 7 has been a huge boost for the company after the dross that was Vista. It will take a huge step from either Unix/Linux or Apple to knock Windows of the top step of the podium.

While I realise that a huge amount of people are passionate about their Macs you can't beat the PC in terms of variety, choices, price range.

Berkerk

Before this gets hijacked any further, AdoramaTV on YouTube do a review of iPad photography apps. Not watched them myself (no iPad) but thought they might help!