D600 Sensor replacement

JMHPhotography

I am finally getting around to sending in my D600 for the sensor to be replaced its gotten out of control. Has anyone done this? if so any idea of how long the process takes I sold my back up camera so I am SOL if a shoot comes up.

Thanks
Jeannette

nikonpup

call and check with the service dept in new york (nikon) see if the parts are in stock and turn around time. i did mine after the rush was over, it took about a week.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Jeannette,

First, it's not the sensor that will get replaced but the shutter box. The dust problem was cause by the shutter. From what I have heard from others, it can take from 2-3 weeks before the cam comes back your way. Unless they decide to replace it with a D610 which has happened as well for some.

Good luck.

RobV

So the 610 eliminated this shutter box issue?

I am thinking about my first full-frame. The 610 is looking good to me.

Daz

I have just brought a second hand D600 with only 4000 shutter count on it, I am looking into sending mine back soon :)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
When I had a D600, I sent it back 3 times. The sensor was replaced twice. No amount of sensor cleaning would remove whatever was causing the spots. It could have been something underneath the low pass filter for all I know (from their taking it apart), but after the first sensor replacement, the spot problem remained until I worked out a deal with Nikon for a refund (I think everyone else got replacements). I now have a D610.

Bukitimah

Wow that sound serious. I made an informal check with Nikon and they advise warranty does not extend to Pre owned units. If that is so, does thst means d600 will have problem selling thier body?

Whiskeyman

If that is so, does thst means d600 will have problem selling thier body?

If that is the case, yes it would. As it is, I wouldn't purchase a D600 for any amount that anyone sane would sell it for, even to have Nikon repair it under warranty. (If you want to test this, give me a try! :))

I was under the impression that Nikon was offering repair service for this issue with the D600 whether you were the original owner or not. They seemed to be doing this to both head off a class-action lawsuit and to restore their reputation. IMO, the D600 dust issue caused great damage to Nikon's reputation, and they were doing everything that they could to resolve the issue and attempting to restore their reputation.

WM

JMHPhotography

Well its here! According to my original invoice request it was supposed to be a sensor cleaning. The invoice upon return shows they replaced the shutter and cleaned the image sensor.. here hoping it fixed the issue. Again when I bought this camera I was aware of this issue so I am in now way holding a grudge against nikon if the issue is fixed then all is well if not we go next level. So I will let you know probably later today how the spot issue is as I am suffering from picture taking withdrawal at this point (is there a 10 step program for that) ... I will keep everyone posted

Daz

Well mine is going back in the coming weeks, I have an astronomy trip next weekend that I am begrudgingly going to be taking the D600 with me, I know I will be doing a lot of spot healing when I get back!!

Then it wlll be going off to Nikon !