Going from Dx to FX

canuck257

SWMBO has said that I can have an FX for Christmas if I want one:confused::confused::confused: I'm leaning towards the D750 to add to my D7100 but I'm open to suggestions and guidance. I suspect it will almost continuously wear the Tamzooka. Most of my photography is wildlife and scenery so would the 750 be a good choice? What significant differences will I notice between it and the 7100 in terms of handling and software options?

Horoscope Fish

SWMBO has said that I can have an FX for Christmas if I want one:confused::confused::confused: I'm leaning towards the D750 to add to my D7100 but I'm open to suggestions and guidance. I suspect it will almost continuously wear the Tamzooka. Most of my photography is wildlife and scenery so would the 750 be a good choice? What significant differences will I notice between it and the 7100 in terms of handling and software options?
Well I have both the D7100 and a D750. If you're primarily a wildlife sorta guy I have to wonder if you're going to miss the crop factor you're getting with your big Tam' on the D7100. If you intend to keep both bodies I think think you're going to find you like the DX body better for that particular type of shooting. That being said, I find the D750 is a dream to shoot with, generally speaking, and if "master-at-none", it's definitely a superb, "Jack of all trades".

How do the D7100 and D750 differ in handling? Well the D750 is a little thinner in the grip and the top LCD is configured a little differently but the button layout is pretty much the same, both top and rear, on both bodies so I find I can switch between bodies pretty much effortlessly. Menu configuration is pretty much the same as well though the D750 has some different options of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by "software options".

480sparky

When I jumped to FX, I thought I had forever left DX. But the Tamzooka came along and led me back to a D7100. Never been sorry I did.

Moab Man

The difference will be low light capability and the fact you can push the ISO really high without noise. However, never think of it as an upgrade - it's not. They are two different tools.

canuck257

Well I have both the D7100 and a D750. If you're primarily a wildlife sorta guy I have to wonder if you're going to miss the crop factor you're getting with your big Tam' on the D7100. If you intend to keep both bodies I think think you're going to find you like the DX body better for that particular type of shooting. That being said, I find the D750 is a dream to shoot with, generally speaking, and if "master-at-none", it's definitely a superb, "Jack of all trades".

How do the D7100 and D750 differ in handling? Well the D750 is a little thinner in the grip and the top LCD is configured a little differently but the button layout is pretty much the same, both top and rear, on both bodies so I find I can switch between bodies pretty much effortlessly. Menu configuration is pretty much the same as well though the D750 has some different options of course.

I'm not sure what you mean by "software options".

Thanks Paul, by software options I meant, Is the menu as comprehensive as the D7100?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If I was mainly doing wildlife, I'd get a D7200 instead of going FX. You could have a wide angle on one and the Tamzooka on the other. I don't see what more the Fx format would bring you except maybe 1 stop extra light but at the loss of 1,5 crop factor...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I can't say for sure, but I think you can change from FX to DX on the 750. Any one know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you can crop to DX with the D750, but you loose pixels. The D750 probably produces around 16 Mp in DX where the D7200 is 24... For Wildlife, DX rules unless you want to get the really expensive lenses and the decoy tents and everything.

Horoscope Fish

I can't say for sure, but I think you can change from FX to DX on the 750. Any one know for sure?
Many (all?) Nikon FX bodies have a DX Mode you can employ when using a DX lens. What happens is the viewfinder dims around the edges while the DX sized FOV, the center section of the viewfinder that reflects the area that will be captured remains bright to help you properly frame the shot. On paper this sounds fantastic; use your current arsenal of DX lenses on your FX body... w00t! But... It's not. It's just... Not. Not only do you lose a LOT of resolution, the whole setup is just... Awkward to use.

In all honesty, I could NOT get FX glass on my D750 fast enough. FX glass for an FX body.

jwintermoyer

My first camera was a D5200 which I bought a 150-600 tamron lens. Now I shot most of the time with a D750. I think the lens works best on the D5200. So what long lens would you recommend for the D750.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

The D750 is about 10mp in DX mode,i have been trying it a bit with the 70-300 but the only thing you gain against cropping is it focuses your attention in the DX area,you could argue its no different to using a D300 @ 12.3mp in fact with a newer sensor it should be better,if you keep the D7100 it could be a great combination.

RocketCowboy

My first camera was a D5200 which I bought a 150-600 tamron lens. Now I shot most of the time with a D750. I think the lens works best on the D5200. So what long lens would you recommend for the D750.

Any FX lens that is 1.5X longer in focal length than the lens you have on your DX camera.

I really don't mean to sound rude, but using something long like the Tamron 150-600mm lens on a D5200, when zoomed out to 600mm is giving you an effective focal length of 900mm. Do get the same effective FOV on a D750, you'll need a 900mm lens. The D750 will have better low light capabilities, so that could help improve the IQ and maybe allow you to shot a little wider and crop, but usually the preference for long lenses on DX bodies is all about the crop factor.