What tripod camera plate and/or L-bracket do you use?

Scott Ellis

Hi all!
Working on my D5500 support system and wonder what others are using. I bought a used RRS BH-55, but can't find info on the plate and/or l-bracket to use.

Also interested in what tripod you use.

Thanks,

Scott

Horoscope Fish

In my place there are two photogs and between us we have three tripods (that I know of) and four or five monopods, most with ball heads.

After mounting frustration (ha!) with other systems, we streamlined our gear and we're now all Arca-Swiss, all the time. One of our smarter decisions, IMO.

For your BH-55 you'd use a BP-CS Conventional Plate.

Last edited:

BackdoorArts

I've actually got both Manfrotto (tripod and monopod) and Arca-Swiss (2 tripods) heads. I prefer to use the standard Manfrotto plates with their heads when I've got any kind of weight or am in more precarious situations, but in general I have found that these plates I got from Amazon work well on both, and especially on the Arca-Swiss heads.

I googled your ball head and wow ($$$$$) - new that's more than I paid for my Manfrotto and MeFoto tripods combined. According to their website, "Really Right Stuff camera body plates are not generic, they are model specific. We stock custom plates for all of the Nikon camera models shown below. Select your camera, then click through to see all plate choices." D5500 plate is $49.

This link tells you all about their system, which is "based on the Arca-Swiss system", which I would assume means it will accept an Arca-Swiss plate, but you never know.

Intro to the RRS Quick-Release System

Everything I read on the site makes me think they've designed their product to insure you buy nothing but their stuff.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

Some RRS ball-heads are straight-up Arca Swiss compatible, while some others are Arca Swiss style; which means the design mimics Arca Swiss but is not Arca Swiss compatible. I couldn't tell you which ball-heads are compatible and which are not but you could buy a cheap Arca Swiss compatible plate for $10 and find out... That's we had to do.