nikon D5300 or D300s

bigal1000

Don't know what to do here a new D5300 or good used d300/s. Currently using a D200, but 10 mp really not cutting it anymore, but D300 is only 12mp not much of increase. What are your thoughts folks. Looking for advice,thanks very much.

Last edited:

Bill16

I've printed up to 20x30 on my D300 that turned out great! But the D5300 might be able to produce better photos, though the D300s is a pro model and much better built with the pro style button controls layout! For build quality the D300s is a much better camera, but for new tech advantages the the D5300 is better from what I hear!
But I would recommend a D7100 instead of the D5300 if higher MPs is your biggest need, so you still get a simi-pro style camera with the higher MPs! :)
The D7100 is cheaper now that the D7200 is out!

The D300s would be my favorite DX choice, due to excellent design,feel,and built quality! :)

This the photo I printed 20" x30"! :D

dsc_8174sized.jpg

Last edited:

nickt

To buy or not, I'll leave up to you. Sometimes you just need/want a change to keep interested. But like Bill said, you might want to consider a d7100 for the user interface. While the d5300 is a nice camera, you might find more menu work than you are used to. I went from a d70 to a d3100. At the time I wanted small and light weight, but I eventually missed my buttons, front command wheel and top lcd display.

Horoscope Fish

My girl shoots with a D5300 and, in my experience, that body gives image quality that is well above its weight-class; but like @nickt, when going from my D7100 or D750 to Jesi's D5300 I'm immediately frustrated by not being able to see critical functions displayed on the top LCD and with having only one command-wheel to work with.

The presence of a backup SD card also saved my bacon not long ago when "Card A" went sideways on me. Windows "repaired" the issue with one click, but doing so cost me over one-hundred shots I took while in Joshua Tree National Park. Backup card... To the rescue!

All that being said, I'm not sure if I've helped or just muddied the proverbial waters...

bigal1000

Great stuff here I'm slowly thinking maybe D7100 over the 300s, a good used D7100 might just be the better move than a new D5300.

hrstrat57

D300s all day for me. All day for the pro layout, and as a D200 shooter you are already all over it.

I'd want it mint tho or I'd probably opt for a D7200 or D7100.

(but D400 rumour is heating up again, that's what I m saving for!)

RocketCowboy

Paul hit on the key criteria for me ... The D5300 is a great camera, but my preference is easy access to the controls as well as the LCD screen on top of the body.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Yeah, I'd go refurbished or used D7100 myself. Better high ISO images, low light focus, focus fine tuning, plus all the things already mentioned.

bigal1000

Got the Nikon d7000 yesterday in box with all accessories and 125 shutter activations, checked with Nikon shutter count software. Not a mark or scratch on it. Paid $425 I think it was a great deal.

Tommy Somers

I have a Nikon D5300 and Nikon D3300 as backup...the big advantage of 24MP is that you can crop the picture afterwards in any size you want. Quality is excellent!! I shoot in RAW and the dynamic range is excellent...

JH Foto

I have a Nikon D5300 and Nikon D3300 as backup...the big advantage of 24MP is that you can crop the picture afterwards in any size you want. Quality is excellent!! I shoot in RAW and the dynamic range is excellent...

This is exactly why I have the D5300...........:)