New Photo App for Macs

06Honda

Does the new Photo App in OS X Yosemite allow importing of Raw & JPEG images from the D7200. Looking to up date my MacBook Pro that currently has iPhoto. While I am posting here will my Macbook Pro work okay and don't slow down alot, see image of my system. Thanks to all for any help. My MacBook Pro.jpg

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

Should be good to go, since I've upgraded some C2D based MacBook Airs to 10.10.5 with no problems.

You might want to look into bumping up your RAM from 4 to 8GB, but otherwise should be good.

skater

I'd recommend against it. I have a Core i5 machine, though a slower clock speed than yours, with 8 GB of RAM, and frankly it's so slow for rendering pictures that it's practically unusable. Things went south when I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) from Snow Leopard (10.6) - apparently at some point in there they went full 64 bit and my laptop struggles with it for whatever reason.

I maintain that it used to render raw files from my D7000 just fine. Someday I'm going to reinstall Snow Leopard on it and compare timing.

I wasn't very impressed by the new Photos app, either.

Fred Kingston

Every time someone mentions Photo, I look at it... and just shake my head, and thank my lucky stars that there are 50 photo editing programs that make Photo unnecessary...

RocketCowboy

I'd recommend against it. I have a Core i5 machine, though a slower clock speed than yours, with 8 GB of RAM, and frankly it's so slow for rendering pictures that it's practically unusable. Things went south when I upgraded to Mavericks (10.9) from Snow Leopard (10.6) - apparently at some point in there they went full 64 bit and my laptop struggles with it for whatever reason.

I was pretty certain that the i5 was always a 64-bit processor. I know my old 2009 MacBook pro with the Core2Duo processor was only 32-bit, but I would have sworn it was the C2D to i3/i5/i7 migration where the hardware went 64-bit. That said, I'm not a hardware guy (I just network these things together), so I could well be wrong.

Every time someone mentions Photo, I look at it... and just shake my head, and thank my lucky stars that there are 50 photo editing programs that make Photo unnecessary...

This I think we'll all agree with. Once they put the final nail in Aperture, I gave up on  making decent photo apps.

skater

I was pretty certain that the i5 was always a 64-bit processor. I know my old 2009 MacBook pro with the Core2Duo processor was only 32-bit, but I would have sworn it was the C2D to i3/i5/i7 migration where the hardware went 64-bit. That said, I'm not a hardware guy (I just network these things together), so I could well be wrong.

It's a 64 bit processor. But it struggles. Think 10-15 seconds just to render a raw file from my D7000 in Preview. Lilyview, a program I bought from the app store, is somewhat faster, but it's still pretty tedious. Before the OS upgrade, it was just a moment switching between pictures.

Oddly enough it works much better in Aperture (not that I use that any more, of course) and Darktable. But browsing through for a first pass before importing the pictures into a photo program? It's torture.

skater

I'm sorry - I just realized I wasn't clear in my answer. At some point between Snow Leopard and Mavericks, Apple removed the 32-bit code from the OS and it's fully 64 bit now, at least according to what I read when I was researching the issue. The processor is 64 bit. I know, it should work fine, but it really doesn't. :(

I'm just guessing the 64 bit code is the problem, but I've tried everything else, including a format and installing a fresh copy of OS X, and I haven't had any luck fixing the issue.

06Honda

I'm sorry - I just realized I wasn't clear in my answer. At some point between Snow Leopard and Mavericks, Apple removed the 32-bit code from the OS and it's fully 64 bit now, at least according to what I read when I was researching the issue. The processor is 64 bit. I know, it should work fine, but it really doesn't. :(

I'm just guessing the 64 bit code is the problem, but I've tried everything else, including a format and installing a fresh copy of OS X, and I haven't had any luck fixing the issue.

Thanks for the excellent feedback and info, I am going to standdown on upgrading my currents specs.